Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white elephant

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 3:09

Hi
hare is the kerridoxa elegans I got for 40 bucks. had to remove 3 fronds due to damage and had to repot. It did have an excellant root system and is responding better than I expected ,paerticularly for an understory palm
almost sent it back but too late now lol gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white elephant

I hate to bear bad news but that sure looks like a Pritchardia, not a Kerriodoxa.

o

Hi
what would you base that upon?? Have never seen either type this young. Does have the very velvety white backing to fronds even those that were lost
Due to the division of the leading frond?? The two longest are tears . Thanks gary

o

I looked again real close and I think it is a Kerriodoxa. The shine from the light made it look very bright green at first glance.

o

Hi
It was raining when the pic was taken the selaginella at the left normally appears bright blue
Was rather disappointed with the plant due to the damage but also wrong species . it would go back loll
If you look closely at the upper edge you can see a bit of the back which is very velvety white . All the fronds were that way. Actually much whiter than my silver Joey .J. magnifica. know of no pritchardia with that characteristic ??
Like I've actually seen all 30/40 species in every stage of growth lol
I'm still a bit suspicious as it has grown another frond which is starting open already lol Very weird "slow growing understory palm " The magnifica produces less than 2 fronds per year !! Also ,obviosly grown from seed and I was unable to locate a source
Besides we all know that nurseries NEVER have plants with wrong ID'S lol Time will tell I guess Thanks gary

o

I'm glad it is recovering well for you. Sometimes the little plants bounce better from shipping than the larger ones.
Maybe if you post the pic on the palm forum an expert may be able to tell you? Whatever it is, it looks happy.

o

Hi
Tried both palm and name that plant forums . Got prichardia livistona, roystonea lol my own thoughts when first seeing it were pritchardia until I noticed the divisions are tears and the white backing.
Actually it's pretty sad looking since every frond is damaged and the package it came in was not damaged so it must have been sent that way Wrong specie would be the icing on the cake .?? Had I wanted pritchardia could have started from seed for under a buck lol
I have faith though !! i don't think it is a pritchardia !!
I won't be doing any shopping at that nursery again lol
It has developed a new frond already which is VERY suspicious lol. can't wait to see my new pritchardia frond lol
Thanks gary

o

Gary, please give us an update when the new frond is fully unveiled. The story is getting very interesting... I want to read the next chapter... :)

Carol

o

Hi
Just got another plant (mailorder0 from another nursery.
Supposedly Cochliostema jacobiana , suspect it is actually C odoratissima lol since I've only seen one plant in my life won't make a judgement just yet
Was over 4 feet tall and 3 wide!! Very impressed no matter what it is lol gary

o

Hi
This palm has prrogressed way beyond expectations . Latest frond is wider than long but still highly indented
Has produced 6 fronds since this post but still in juvenile stage Seems pretty fast for "slow growing but is looking more and more like the ID. It is developing stilt roots and see no mention of this in the lit .White on undersides is becoming brighter on each new frond and is tomentose .
Still in the 5 inch pot but shows no sign of protruding roots . Going to repot when present frond is complete
I suspect my mix is holding too much moisture which would explain the stilts though everything I've read says it needs it . Will try to post a pic. as soon as I get a camera lol gary

o

I'm glad that it is turning out to be what you wanted. I am thinking of ordering a few plants from that nursery. They do seem to have some more unusual things.

Looking forward to your pic later. It seems like some plants just want to kinda sit there the first year before they get going lol. I have several that I bought last summer that are just now taking off.
~SJN

o

Hi
Palms sort of follow their own rules lol Easy to see why they are so expensive when they get any size.
Was just looking through their catalog and they were out of almost eveything lol
Found a nursery in W. Palm that had all 3 gallon at 5 bucks !! My kind of place. I bought a Clerodendron ugandense that is over 3 feet . I'm in the market for some tree ferns and odd aroids so will check them out.
I really hate buying mail order though I've generally got what I paid for ,I like seeing what I;m buying
What kind were you looking for from Eldons?? gary

o

I wish we had good tropical nurseries here but they are mostly stocked with natives and zone 9a or below hardy stuff. One nursery, not too far, just started carrying more tropical fruit trees than I've seen at Lowes etc. They also have a great citrus selection. Other than that ...blah
In general, mail order is how I get most of my stuff or through trades unless I get lucky :)

I am thinking that I might have to replace a few of my alocasias that Eldon has. They went dormant and have not come back up yet. I will wait a bit longer and see first before I place an order. One I dug up was just gone so either something ate it or it rotted probably due to so much rain this spring. Half our yard was a swamp for a while there.
I also like some of their other stuff but looks like there is an 'out of stock' on them right now.
~SJN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here