Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

"Buyer assumes all risks, no returns"

garyfla_gw
9 years ago

Hi
Was out plant shopping and found this on a tag. Was on Brachychiton acerfolius ans B. bidwillii. have never seen these for sale ever and could find no clerk to ask ?? Found nothing on the net Anybody know??
gary

Comments (9)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Hmmm - isn't that the way everybody used to do sales back in the olden daysâ¦..?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

They may have put that on the plant because it grows into a 100' plus tree.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi
    Checked with RBG in Australia . Produces thin hairs in the seed pods which are a skin irritant and can lead to blindness If alergic can lead to swelling of lips tongue avoid breathing . seek immediate medical attention.
    Think I'll skip that one ?? lol thanks gary

• nikkers
    9 years ago

Plant attributes Common name Little Kurrajong
    Botanical name Brachychiton bidwillii
    Plant type(info) Small Tree
    Foliage retention(info) Semi-deciduous
    Flower colour(info) Pink
    Foliage colour(info) Dark green
    Bird attracting(info) Yes, nectar
    Native(info) Yes
    Plant size(info) 2 to 5 metres high, 2 to 3 metres wide
    Suitability Climate zones(info) Dry tropical, dry subtropical, humid tropical, humid subtropical, temperate
    Light requirements(info) Sun
    Borewater tolerance(info) Yes
    Frost tolerance(info) Light
    Soil type(info) Clay, loam, sand
    Other soil information Well drained
    Maintenance(info) Low

• nikkers
    9 years ago

Plant attributes Common name Little Kurrajong
    Botanical name Brachychiton bidwillii
    Plant type(info) Small Tree
    Foliage retention(info) Semi-deciduous
    Flower colour(info) Pink
    Foliage colour(info) Dark green
    Bird attracting(info) Yes, nectar
    Native(info) Yes
    Plant size(info) 2 to 5 metres high, 2 to 3 metres wide
    Suitability Climate zones(info) Dry tropical, dry subtropical, humid tropical, humid subtropical, temperate
    Light requirements(info) Sun
    Borewater tolerance(info) Yes
    Frost tolerance(info) Light
    Soil type(info) Clay, loam, sand
    Other soil information Well drained
    Maintenance(info) Low

• nikkers
    9 years ago

sorry for the double post. Computer is wonky today

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    Interesting ,you didn't mention any of the things I related in my post ?? Got that info from the RBGns there.
    I think it only relates to B acerfolium ?? gary

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

The brachychiton seed pods are shaped like a boat and when ripe, split open to expose a couple of rows of hard seeds, which are encased in a papery covering. (Acerifolius are a bright yellow) The seed husk is covered with, and the inside of the pod lined with, small hairs that are intensely irritating - and difficult to dislodge from your fingers. Certainly would be painful for a small child who experimented. I haven't had an allergic reaction other than to the pain until they finally dislodge but I warn people about them. I've collected seed from both species for many years and handle them cautiously with gloves and pliers.
    I have A bidwillii growing in my yard and it's quite a sight in flower. Acerifolious is a real stunner. Seed-grown plants can be hit or miss in terms of wow factor, so there has been a lot of work done here in australia to produce some superior flowering forms and those are now sold grafted here.
    The pods take a very long time after flowering before they ripen. Near to 12 months. And generally the pods fall somewhat intact, or are retained on the tree even longer and attacked by insects.
    So people who want to grow one shouldn't really be put off by the pods, as they can be cut off the tree long before reaching maturity.
    Also the trees don't generally reach anything like the height mentioned. Like a lot of australian rainforest trees, if they are grown hard in an open position they are generally fairly compact for many many years.
    Acerifolius is used a fair bit in my area as park trees or street-scaping, and wouldn't much exceed 15 feet in as many years. Given GOOD conditions however they would get to double that. I have only seen a couple of hybrids in Brisbane that would be maybe 80 years old and they certainly are large specimens, probably 40 feet.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi
    Have never seen one growing here nor offered in nurseries and piqued my interest with the warning. have never seen that on any labels lol
    haven't checked but there may be some law about them if that dangerous. In any event I already have a lot of plants that irritate me though not in that way lol
    Thanks for the info!!! gary

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?