Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malomutt

natchez blackberry

malomutt
11 years ago

I just bought a Natchez Blackberry, which seems to be going through a regrowth period in the pot I bought it in. I really want this plant to live. I was thinking of growing it in a fan type trellis on a wood fence? Any suggestions or advice would be very welcomed regarding this plant.

Comments (5)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I have been disappointed in both Natchez and Ouachita blackberries. The berries are pretty and produce but not very good tasting. While thorny I find the Kiowa to be MUCH better.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Malomutt - I have 2 arapaho thornless blackberries that I am very happy with. They are on a fence with half a cattle panel to tie the vines. I like the flavor and they are very productive!
    Your idea will work too, make sure that the trellis is strong and big enough, they are fast growers.

Silvia

• toomanyprojects
    11 years ago

Hi all! I am new to this forum but have been avidly reading for about a month. Amazed at what y'all are getting in your gardens! I am learning from this forum and am anxious to build my beds for the fall.

Sylvia, I have the Walmart variety of black berry and the flavor is good..do you cut yours back all the way or just let it go all year round? Mind is a thornless variety.

I have been gardening for many years but for the first time unemployment (just got a contract based job & it will fit right in to my plans for home-time and income! yeah!)is allowing me to really get this up and going. Most of my past efforts have shriveled up due to work and small children. Now I have tome and helpers for a real garden and I am so excited! Will post before and after picts when I figure out hoe to do this! So glad to know there is a Florida garden forum! Marla

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Marla

Welcome to the Florida forum! And yes, this is a great place for learning about gardening in our area. I am glad to know that you have good news about the job.

About the blackberries, after they finish fruiting I cut them and trained to the trellis, it will be soon for me...

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: blackberry pruning

• malomutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information. The picture was exceptionally helpful. I've repotted the blackberry and staked out one vine in hopes that it will root 2 more plants, but I thought I'd wait till the weather cooled a bit before putting it into the ground. It's rained everywhere but here lately, and plus the
    soil needs to be improved too. I also wanted you all to know that I went back to Walmart and the Blackberry they have now as Natchez have torns like crazy. I grow roses and don't mind the torns but this is not the same plant at all.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County