Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooms

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 6:44

Photobucket first time with a cell phone camera...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooms

Awesome! I have been wanting this one, since my last one died - do you have any extra plants? Please email me if you do, and we will try to work out something.

o

will have plenty of seeds...remind me....will mail....have to wait till next year to have 'em....

o

I love POB! Beautiful! I have some seeds, does anyone know how long it will take a seed - grown plant to bloom? Or should I just buy a plant ( they're pricey though).

o

Mark, may I get some seeds from you too? The seedlings that I got from you died during the hard freezes we had a couple of winters ago.

o

will have a bunch, already seeding on the lower branches, grows like a weed! remind me! chloe...plant the seeds, over priced everywhere!

o

Mark ~ OK

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 9:21

Beautiful Mark, do hummers like it? After all the years I lived in this house I finally saw my first hummer check out the CJ allamanda for about two seconds Thursday. I need some hummer magnets....

Tom

o

Beautiful flowers!

For anyone wanting the name, the plant is called Pride of Barbados, Mexican Bird of Paradise, Poinciana, Peacock Flower, Red Bird of Paradise, Dwarf Poinciana, (Caesalpinia pulcherrima)

Carol in Jacksonville

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 12:24

It comes in yellow and pink as well. The yellow one blooms all year for me, but I think my pink one has died. If so, that is the second one I've lost, so I think it is fussier to grow. :o)

o

Tom,
Hummers love it. As do all kinds of butterflies, and even parrots feast on the seeds in my yard. Or they did until Isaac knocked mine down.
Don't put them where they can fall on anything. They are brittle.
S

o

Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 19:06

Thanks S-e, must have! Now that I've seen a hummer here after only 16 years I'm on a quest.... :-)

Tom

o

POB really is a wildlife magnet Tom. Our cardinals nested in it one year and it was always covered in butterflies. Down here it bloomed almost year round, so it kept a lot of critters fed.

o

Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 11:03

Sounds good, I do recall seeing them growing wild all over the Bahamas.

o

My hummers love Blue Black Salvia, but it's a pain. It spreads everywhere. I also have a tubular orange canna they love and Golden Esperanza. In spring, Larkspur seems to be their favorite.

o

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here