Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulk pine bark chips?

Posted by MuscledBear 10a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 7:18

Looking for bulk pine bark chips for use to plant bromeliads and orchids. I'm in St Pete, so looking for somewhere local in the Tampa bay area.

Also looking for a place to buy - and online is ok for this one - bulk sphagnum moss. Again for the above listed plants.

When i lived up north, buying the bags from home depot was acceptable. Down here in Florida, the things grow so fast [and maybe i have so many more types now] that it is getting cost prohibitive to buy them in small bags.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulk pine bark chips?

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 7:33

I have not bought bulk pine in a few years but in the past got fines and minibark by the cubic yard in Tampa from:

Mulch Express
Cypress Creek

o

Thanks! i have a couple of "down" weekends where i have no other plans and am trying to get the garden ready for the months ahead.

o

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 8:43

Have fun, let us know how you make out.

Tom

o

hi
I get mine from "Timberline" though I never buy more than 6 cubic feet at a time and it's bagged into 2 cubes so storage is easy .
I grow most of my epi orchids in crushed lava does not rot nor sour can't be overwatered it does accumulate salts and is heavy so I use styrofoam underpotting Another down side is that it does not deter ferns they love it but then they also love chips lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here