Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corar4gw

Jax GW plant swap

corar4gw
15 years ago

What happened to the Jacksonville plant swap thread?

cora

Comments (47)

• linda441
    15 years ago

There was not much interest I guess so it dropped down the line a ways. I still want to plan one in September/October. Anyone interested, please jump in!
    Linda

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm still interested - any time of the year
    cora

• linda441
    15 years ago

Sounds good. I think Michelle and Donna/Max will definitely be there and maybe some other gardeners I know locally. Anybody interested in making a trip to meet Jax gardeners???

• bihai
    15 years ago

I'd be interested in coming from G-ville, or in having you guys drive down here

• linda441
    15 years ago

C'mon up and join us bihai! It will be probably late september or early part of October, whichever is most convenient for most

• deeosu
    15 years ago

I am interested in meeting some gardeners, but do not have anything to swap yet. Just beginning to plant when the Sandalwood canal project is done behind our house.
    Dee

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dee, don't worry about not having plants to swap. It's guranteed you will NOT go home empty handed! Just show up (with a dish of something to share)and meet the local Garden Webbers. We swap plants, eat, share info and plant stories and have a good time. This is the friendliest, most generous group of people you'll ever meet.
    cora

• michelle1977
    15 years ago

Oh, I am def. interested. I am telling my garden friends about the forum as well, so hopefully I will be bringing new members with me as well.

• linda441
    15 years ago

That would be great Michelle!

• ladybarber101
    15 years ago

Once we have a date set I will know for sure but I plan on comming. Max is working a new job so he's pretty tuckered out when hes not working but ou never know he may come along..

Dee did any of the daylily I gave to your husband make it?

• deeosu
    15 years ago

My post did not come through earlier. Yes most of them did!
    Thanks again, we will be transplanting them in the fall to circle a tree.

• shlycac
    15 years ago

Linda,
    I would be glad to come to a plant swap. Just let me know when you have it set. I live south of Lake City, and work in Jacksonville, but would love to drive back in to meet other gardeners.

Linda

• beach_sunflower
    15 years ago

I would be interested in driving down from Georgia - I'm from the St. Simons/Jekyll Island area. I'm lurking on this forum all the time, anyway. It would be nice to meet some Jacksonville gardeners and exchange some plants. I may be able to bring some other coastal Georgia gardeners, too.

• nativemel
    15 years ago

Have you got a date in mind for the Sept/Oct Jax swap? My sister lives in Jax and I can attend if I coordinate with her ahead of time. Keep us posted!

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunflower, we'd love to have you join us. Our zones are probably the same so far as plants go. They don't recognize state borders, y'know. ;o)

Just to stir the pot a bit, I'm going to throw out the date of Sunday, Oct. 5th. Temps should have started to cool a bit by then and the weatherman willing, there'll be no hurricanes lurking about. Would that date be okay for most of you?
    cora

• ladybarber101
    15 years ago

October 5th would work for us. Pretty much any weekend day as long as I can plan ahead of time. The only weekend we wont be available is the wekend of September 13 thas we are trying to plan out first plant sale and garden shin-dig day then.

As for the swap everyone is welcome who can come and if anything hapens and we need a place to hold it it could be switched to here as long as we dont have the eniter yard taken up with plants..lol

Linda what do you think?

• linda441
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the date Cora! I was thinking the 5th or 12th. Whichever is best for most. I have plenty of room here and parking across the street in the field by the pond which gives us the entire driveway for setting up our trade plants. There is plenty of sheltered seating so you can be out of the sun and rain should a shower pop up. I have plenty of chairs and tables so we can accomodate many people. Should the "situation" change it could be held at Donna's.
    The situation is that there has been talk that they are selling the trailer park to developers and we would have 45 days to vacate. I cannot move my trailer since it it over 20 yrs old so I would lose everything I invested in.
    At this point things are back to normal and hopefully will stay that way.
    Would love to have anyone from the central/southern part of Florida join us or anyone from Georgia that can make the trip
    I will be in NH the end of October for a memorial service/celabration of life for my father so we need to do this the first part of October. Hope to see many of you!
    Linda

• michelle1977
    15 years ago

Hi Linda!!

Thank you SOO much for all the stuff you gave me. I finally got it all planted. I didn't get to the cannas until today so I hope they faired well. I just stuck them in some water til I could plant them.

The coleus is looking great. I put some cuttings in the grown and some in a cup of water in my kitchen. I figured I would spread it out. The angel Trumpet will got at my entry way where it will get lots of sun.

Looking forward to Oct. ...the 5th works great for me.

Michelle

• linda441
    15 years ago

You are welcome Michelle. I have been busy moving alot of my plants to safety and trying to get furniture secured outside etc. Way too much to bring in so securing the best I can. If my house hols up in the storm we can go forth with plans. Looks like the storm may turn west before getting this far north, but we will still be on the bad side of the storm with winds and rains. Everyone stay safe!

• ladybarber101
    15 years ago

Linda do stay safe and I wil keep my thoughts with you and your home. we too have been running around in circles trying to prepare for the worst possible. Got batteries and gas last night and spent most of the day preparing the nursery best as I can for the storm and even pulled the tarps down off the mist house. All my hanging baskets are on the ground and everything else hopefully will take whatever mother nature throws at us...
    Everyone in Fays future stay safe!
    Donna

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Garage and lanai are full of potted exotics,(plants, that is). No room left for a hurricane party. Durn!
    cora

• beach_sunflower
    15 years ago

I am marking down October 5th on the calendar (should be a good date for me). I'm taking the local Master Landscaper class in Brunswick, GA and will mention the get-together/swap to my friends in the class, too.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Still cleaning up the yard after Fay -- but it could have been much, much worse. We're still new here so every storm is an "adventure." Hope everyone else is okay.

• linda441
    15 years ago

Oct 5th is the official date - Lets plan on 10 am start date and get together with food ideas.
    I will be listing some plants I will have to swap and what I will have food-wise when my brain wakes up a little more
    Linda

• ladybarber101
    15 years ago

Have the date marked and plan to be there with goodies!

Beach Sunflower I am glad you will be able to attend and please do invite your gardening friends.

Linda should we start a thread over in the exchange section or keep it here?

• linda441
    15 years ago

Let's keep it here to eliminate confusion.

I plan on cooking a Ham or Boston Butt, Green bean casserole. Will also have chips and dip.

Plants I will have
    Brug rooted and unrooted Cuttings
    Coleus rooted and unrooted cuttings
    Firespike cuttings
    Crocosmia bulbs
    Crinum Lilies
    Sweet Potato Vines (3 varieties)
    Wandering Jew
    Plumeria Cuttings
    That's all I can think of right now
    Please post if you will be attending and if you will have other guests coming with you and what you may be bringing, so we will have an idea of how many to plan for.
    Thank you
    Linda

• linda441
    15 years ago

I am waiting for Donna to contact me to see if she can do this at her house...I am now not in a position to do this here at this time. My sincerest apologies to everyone!!
    I will help Donna in ever way I can if she decides to hold it at her residence
    Again..I am sorry and hopefully in the spring I will be in a better situation
    Thank you for understanding
    Linda

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wherever we meet, I'll be there with broccoli salad and a selection of plants I've yet to put together. Depending on the weather, my XDIL may come with me. She can't handle hot humid weather because of her copd. Will try to get a list of plants together within the next few days. Meanwhile, check out my gourd crafts at Christ The King school on Arlington Road this coming Sat. cora

• ladybarber101
    15 years ago

We can do it here no problem just have to get alot of work done out there before hand...lol Right now we are being overtaken by weeds and re-plantng alot of plants as well as redesigning.... Im not even sure if we will ready or able to have our big sale in 2 eeks or not.. uggh so much work to do in so little time!

• imatallun
    15 years ago

bump - ya'all need to get together and have a great time!

• linda441
    15 years ago

Donna--you have alot on your plate but somehow between us we will get this swap in place. The exterminators are coming today to start treatment of the Carribean Crazy ants and whether or not they can get them under control is the big question. I would not want to ask anyone to come and deal with this! Michelle has seen how bad it is and I cannot get in the yard to weed or be in one place for 2 minutes without being covered by them now. They got much worse after Fay and now we have Hanna becoming a very real threat.
    This morning my Maine coon cat brought me a wonderful present. He was lying on the deck/porch very proud of himself with a dead RAT! Is this going to be my next crisis
    here? I sure hope not, but he is a great hunter so should be able to keep them under control. Just wish he would not bring them to show me! UURRGGH!
    Will keep you updated on CC Ant scenario! Donna - will call you later
    Linda

• michelle1977
    15 years ago

Hi all, I classes are back in now so I don't have as much time online anymore. :-( But I def. have Oct. 5th on the Calendar... no matter the location. And Donna if you need some extra hands to help out, let me know. I know I can work something in there. Just email me personally b/c I can't access GW at work. :-(

I plan to attend. I know my cousin who is my garden enabler (smiles) plans to come with me. I told another friend but I don't know if she will be able to come b/c she just had a baby. Since I won't have much in the plant dept. I can bring extra dishes to eat or drinks, ice, paper goods.. I am pretty open.

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Friendly bump, encouraging ya'all to get together.

• ladybarber101
    15 years ago

Okay well looks like we are off to a great start for planning..

Please post and let us know if you will be commng and EVERYONE IS WELCOME even if you are not from Jax...

Date is set for Sunday October 5th... Time 10ish ?

Ima do we know you? Woud you like to come as well?

Im off to work in the gardens in abit but will keep checking in...

• linda441
    15 years ago

Everyone is invited! It does not matter where you live. And feel free to bring and gardening friends you may have as well. Please let us know if you will be attending and how many. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new gardening friends.
    Linda

• linda441
    15 years ago

In the past 4 years we have had some wonderful swaps here in Jacksonville with great attendance, friendly camaraderie, yummy food and lots of plants shared. However, last year (spring and fall) were very disappointing, with many people saying they were going to join in but never showed, which resulted in many of us cooking food that virtually went to waste, plants that could have been shared that werenÂt and although we did enjoy the company of the few that did show, it was upsetting that many weeks of planning on the part of the host were wasted and not appreciated.
    We feel that there is not enough interest in the Jax area anymore to warrant trying to hold another get-together. This thread keeps escaping to the bottom with no responses, so we are at this time canceling the get-together for Oct 5th. Many of us would love to meet local gardeners and we can get together from time-to-time to meet each other and tour each others gardens, but until there is more activity in this area I think it best to form a more solid gardening group in the area.

• michelle1977
    15 years ago

:-( please don't cancel. Even if the get together is small, we can meet right? We don't have to fix all sorts of food. I noticed a handful of people posted above about coming. Maybe we can move the thread to the Exchange Forum and see how that goes. I know I want to come and my cousin plans to come, You, Donna, I know the other Linda planned to come (I don't remember her GW name)That is 5 people there.. then a few others posted above.. if they come.. great.. if not.. oh well. Maybe we can meet at a public place instead of a house.. that way there is not added stress on the "host" to get everything clean for company. There are many public parks that have covered gazebos. We can each bring 1 dish of finger foods.. no main course. That way no one is out a full slab of meat gone to waste. What do you think?? If each guest only brings 1 item of food we should only have enough food for participants. I know I can't get on GW that much right now but plan to attend.

• linda441
    15 years ago

Ok! I can give this one more shot! We can have it here as previously planned, but I do need to have any gardeners that are interested in attending post that they will be defintely be coming so I can plan accordingly. I do want to have enough food to share but not have waste. Whether it be a small get-together or a large one, does not really matter, but it is simply a courtesy to let us know so all attendees and the host can have an idea of who is coming, what they can bring, and if they are looking for particular plants or have some to share with others. Trades can be pre-arranged if you list plants you will have available and set up the trades ahead of time. Those who do not have plants to bring are more than welcomeÂyou will have quite a few before you leave. The main objective to these get-togethers is to meet more fellow gardeners in the area, talk about your gardens, lives, and share good fellowship. I know there are a lot of gardeners in this area and if this date is not convenient for you, you still need to meet some of your neighboring gardeners. Just let us know and we can do individual get-togethers as schedules allow.
    Please post of you can attend and letÂs get the Jax Garden Group back in full swing like it used to be!
    Thank you
    Linda

• michelle1977
    15 years ago

OK, Should we go ahead and post this on the Exchange page? I will go ahead and start a list here but can easily move my list. Check my member page also.

Items I Have

Wild Ferns in my backyard
    Wild Palmettos in my backyard (local only b/c the roots are huge unless you want to pay for shipping)
    Curcuma
    Mexican Petunia
    gardenia seedling
    Curcuma

Other items in my yard.. I can send cuttings of or a small portion depending on the item

Liriope .. dark green and the Aztec Grass
    Dwarf Gardenias
    Jasmine Vine
    Hydrangea -varigated one and a nikko blue
    Azeala
    Boxwood
    Ivy .. not sure what kind but it is green with white
    Hibiscus
    CrepeMyrtle
    Small oak tree .. I think it is an oak.. but if I can't find it a home I will look into moving it .or may just stay..I don't want to kill it.
    Muscadine Grape Vine (self pollinating black grape)
    Mandarin Satsuma Tree
    Sweet Potatoe Vines
    Coleus
    Cannas
    red flame grass

Some items I would like

Just about any kind of Hydranga or Hosta
    Plants that attract butterflies or hummingbirds
    Lily of the Nile,
    Just about any fruit plant/tree
    Sweet granadilla (Passiflora ligularis)
    Clerodendrum bungei also known as mexican hydrangea or Cashmere Bouquet
    Camelia
    Azealas
    Mondo grass
    Blueberries (something for zone 9)
    Guava
    Dwarf Banana
    Did I mention that I love hydrangeas? :-) I love flowers in general esp. if the plant has nice foliage. I prefer double flowers over single ones.
    Bicolor flowers or varigated plants too.

Food- I am open to bring what ever is needed. Maybe a cassarole? A desert? Drinks?

• linda441
    15 years ago

I have put a thread on the exchage page where you can list plants you have/plants you want. We will keep this thread open for general conversation and you can reply to this thread to indicate you would like to attend.
    Thank you
    Linda

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay -- the swap is going to be at Linda's. Right?
    I couldn't find a Jax swap list in the Exchange forum so am assuming it's Here in THIS forum. Right?
    Unless someone else has already promised broccoli salad, I will be bringing broccoli salad. Also, a chair or two depending on wether or not I bring a guest.
    I will be glad to bring a bag of ice, plastic ware, soft drinks - - whatever our hostes needs me to bring.

SO - THESE ARE THE PLANTS/SEEDS I HAVE TO SWAP:
    Pink philodendron - hardy, well mannered, I use it a lot for underplanting tall potted plants.
    Christmas cactus - several colors, mostly small rooted cuttings.
    2 rooted rubber tree cuttings
    6 rooted cordeline cuttings (burgandy color)
    6 - 8 rooted rosemary cuttings
    12+ tiny pineapple seedlings (very cute babys!)
    6+ small, potted spathyphillium
    6+ Mums - small - assorted colors
    Snake plant (AKA MIL tongue)
    Green and verigated spider plant (I use for ground cover)

SEEDS:
    Four O'clocks - mixed pink, yellow, white
    Rain Lily (AKA Zypher lily) pink
    Cleome - lavender
    Pineapple - not a lot, but enough to share
    Gourds, mostly Chinese bottle gourd

STUFF:
    Small hanging garden signs, 6 lighted garden flowers

I think that's all. cora

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOOOOps! I forgot to list what I'd like to swap FOR! Fruit trees, berry plants/vines, food things that will survive in our NE Fla location. I'm not nearly as fussy as the plants! cora

• ahandymam
    15 years ago

I would like to participate. It's always good to meet folks with the same affliction that I have, uncontrolable plant collecting. I have an assortment of plants and bulbs and some water lilys and marginals to offer and am interested in any thing that I don't already have. Angela

• journey149
    15 years ago

i would love one in the tampa bay area any interest

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Handymam, would LOVE a water lily or two as my son's invited me to help him install a pond in his front yard. What a nice "pond warming" gift they'd make. I don't have anything terribly exotic to swap (see my list above)unless you'd be interested in a baby dragon fruit rooting. cora

• imatallun
    15 years ago

I live way down south of you, you don't know me, but I live in Jax in the late 90's. I have a very dear friend from Michigan (known since jr. high) who moved to the Mandarin area a couple of years ago. She's an artist, her husband is a chemist and they love to garden.

I'm going to forward her this Jax Swap thread. Here's her website - copy to your browser, then click on "Life's a Mother" for her take on Fay, (hilarious) and I think you'll see why she'a a natural fit for ya'all, and hope she gets to meet some good GW'ers.

• linda441
    15 years ago

The Jax GW swap was cancelled and many of us are attending a Dave's Garden get-together this sun instead. Seems like there are so very few Jax GW gardeners left in the area that want to participate from our original group. The DG get-together was a spur of the moment thing and we have over 15 people coming -- should be lots of fun
    Maybe in the spring we can try again. You can email me if you have any interest

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WHOA! WAIT A MINNIT!! Who's DAVE? And where does HE LIVE? When was the Oct 5th swap cancelled??? I thought we had a pretty good swap going on here. I NEED INPUT!!!!
    CORA