Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Green Island Ficus

yumtomatoes
12 years ago

I planted quite a few Green Island Ficus close together to form a hedge. I keep them trimmed and they look just beautiful. It is my understanding that unlike other varieties of ficus, they do develop large roots that will crack your sidewalks/driveways/foundation. They also are slower growing than most ficus so they don't have to be trimmed often. And they grow well in the shade or sun are drought tolerant and pretty much pest/disease free.

Given all of that, I am surprised that I don't see Green Island Ficus planted more often. It makes me wonder if there is something negative about this plant that I don't know about. It does not flower, so perhaps that is why it is not used more often, but it has very attractive dark green glossy leaves. When you trim it, it does weep a milky sap that can be irritating to your skin, but I have never had it cause any irritation to my skin.

Is there something about Green Island Ficus that I am missing? If not, I wonder why I don't see it used more in landscaping?

Comments (5)