Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

more pics cuz Ana asked!

hester_2009
11 years ago

Here are some not very good photos of my side yard. It is way too full of stuff so some of the individual plants are kind of hard to see. And the broms aren't blooming now but I love them anyhow. It was hard to plant anything but broms here because of tree roots. There was nothing here 2 years ago and most of what's here now I moved from my old house. Lots of yellow walking iris too.

Last, this is a cool curly croton which I've had for years and everyone loves it - even the guy who runs a nearby nursery and he's still looking for it when he goes to Homestead so I'm hopeful! Can't seem to get cuttings to take

So Ana, thanks for the prompt - I know the pics don't show the area too well, but there it is...

Hester

Comments (15)

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    11 years ago

A big thank you to Anna for asking and an even bigger thank you to Hester for posting.

Don't want to put any pressure on you, Hester :), but I've come to expect inspiring garden photos from you. And...you've done it again!

What an Eden you've created.

June

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

And I give Hester tons of credit for posting pictures from a human point of view. Sooooo many bloggers only post photos as if we are all bunnies - the photographer crouches down and takes photos through the blades of grass. It takes a brave and confident gardener to post photos of how it really looks!

Hester, it is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Your plants look great and your garden design is out of this world!

Carol in Jacksonville

• annafl
    11 years ago

Thanks, Hester. Surely beautiful as I remember it. I guess I love all the foliage contrasts in this area. I can't stop looking! You are a master in your art.

Anna

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

Your garden is very beautiful, Hester. Foliage plants are my favorite, so, I too love all of the foliage contrasts.

Tina

• User
    11 years ago

very nice! i'm jealous! have to love the shade, do here, keep planting more tall bamboo....nice pics, nice garden....show more......m.....keeps me coming back to see what"s new!

• marcia_m
    11 years ago

So very neat and well kept--I'm jealous, too. I need more shade.
    Marcia

• gardencpa
    11 years ago

Lovely! It is looking great. Lots of depth and contrast and all those good things.

Melissa

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all, for your kind words.
    I agree with wanting more shade - this is the only area I have except for some small spots around the house. Which is why there is so much stuff jammed into the side yard!
    And Carol, I was hoping I could urge folks to show "human" views of their yards as that's helpful for ideas. But I also love seeing photos like Mark's closeups as they have so many neat plants.
    Again,thanks
    Hester

• Randy Ritchie
    11 years ago

Woah, I sure do love that garden! Your passion comes through so well in how everything is sited in just the right place, playing off the shapes, colors, and heights of the plants around it. Do you give lessons?!
    Randy

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Hester, oh I agree, I love Mark's closeups, too. It's the darn bunny-shots that drive me nuts (which are not what Mark posts). To the bloggers that post that way: we're not rabbits - no one sees your yard that way in real life. The wide shots through the monkey border grass are frustrating. Only your dog or cat sees your yard that way, LOL!

Carol

• Irma_StPete
    11 years ago

Gorgeous everything! Hester, a question: The huge croton in pictures 1 & 3... how old is it and how did you make it grow so tall and full?

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Hester, your garden is lovely. I so want to see it someday. The croton in the last picture with the twisted leaves is revelution. :o)

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Katkin - thanks for the name of the croton. I looked it up and it seems to be common. I don't know why everyone who sees it has never seen it before and why I can't find some to buy! Oh, well..someday.
    Irma - that croton was one of the only plants worth saving when I moved here (rest of the stuff around was half dead orange crotons, schefflera - all got ripped out). So I care for it as best I can - cut a few interior stems when I think of it and have fed it. I think it should be cut back a bit now but I'm a little nervous to do it.
    I love it and was lucky to find the same variety so I have some more in my planter boxes.
    Randy - come on over to the west coast sometime and I'll share what I've learned over the years! Thanks for the compliment.
    Hester

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Hester, too bad I can't spell and GW doesn't have spell check. That croton was just released a few years ago. I have one I made into a tree. Crotons are easy to root, especially in the summer. :o)

• keiki
    11 years ago

LOVELY! You have created a lovely garden in such a small amount of time.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths