Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this pretty insect?

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 8:26

Late yesterday after I got home from work I went out to feed the pond fish and spotted this rather pretty insect laying eggs on my desert rose. It's body is about an inch long and looks like a butterflies body but the wings don't look anything like a butterflies except for the spots. Whatever it is was really fixated on that desert rose since I kept twisting the pot around and tilting it trying to get a good picture and it only flew off once only to come back less than a minute later. Anyone recogize it? I really need to get a decent book on florida insects.

Kara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this pretty insect?

polka-dot wasp moth - obviously a female. Sure is pretty, huh?!

o

Congratulations, you have an Oleander Moth. Also called a Wasp Moth for the way it looks.

Wiki information about it.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 8:54

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, it is really pretty and I am sure glad it's harmless as I had my hands within a couple inches of it as I was twisting around leaves trying to get the perfect shot! She layed far too many eggs for my one small desert rose and there aren't any oleanders growing in my neighborhood. Will the plant come back if I let the cats eat all of the leaves?

o

Neighbor's desert rose was defoliated by one. It was hard on the plant, it took a while but it did come back. Am i remembering correctly that some people have a sensitivity to contact with the spines of these caterpillars?

From Unv. of Fl regarding affect on oleander:
(which I think would apply to adenium as well)

"Total defoliation will not kill the plant but, if it occurs repeatedly year after year, the plant may be more susceptible to other pests such as scale insects."

Here is a link that might be useful: Oleander Moth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here