Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant in a 12x8 area under a deck (in Lakeland)

Posted by pinkgator 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 8:31

So we just built this 12x8 playhouse about 4 ft off the ground. I wanted to put something other than grass because our yard man has a rider mower, and can't get under there. So I don't want it to become a weedy mess. I don't mind if I plant something under there if my kids (15 mo and 3) can or can't go through.

One option- what would happen if I just put that black garden cloth down, and staked it down?

Is there a flower that would be hearty under all that shade? I would imagine only the front perimeter getting any sun. I would looooove a flower that we could pick and put in vases inside. My daughter looooves picking flowers/plants.

Any other ideas what to do under there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant in a 12x8 area under a deck (in Lakeland)

If it were me, I would attach a 2x8 or so all around and fill with sand to make it a sandbox!

o

We thought about that, but one fear was the grossness after time... Because we have a sand table with a cover and it gets kind of gross... My other fear is all the cats in our neighborhood. I feel like I've heard cats going to bathroom in sandbox and getting my kids sick... Maybe that's an old wives tale though :-)

o

We thought about that, but one fear was the grossness after time... Because we have a sand table with a cover and it gets kind of gross... My other fear is all the cats in our neighborhood. I feel like I've heard cats going to bathroom in sandbox and getting my kids sick... Maybe that's an old wives tale though :-)

o

The sand table gets gross because there's not enough draining. You could build a cover for it, or even use a tarp at night.

o

My friend made covers for her sandbox out of a piece of plywood cut in two so it's easier to move. She painted them to match. You could even paint the plywood with chalkboard paint!

o

A few ideas:

Cast iron plant
Gingers (White butterfly or Shell)
Caladium
Hydrangea
Ornamental potato vine (Purple, Blackie or Margarita)
Ferns
Begonia

Carol in Jacksonville

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 16:48

If it's only 4 feet clearance under there I would just pave it w/the pavers from HD and store tools etc. under there, it is going to be a chore trying to crawl around under there and if you try and grow anything it is a chore to tend the plants, weed, etc. also it would breed mosquitoes because water would tend to stand and not dry off....sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here