Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help pruning peach trees

Posted by springtime_fl z9 Tampa, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 8:33

I have 2 peach trees and 1 nectarine tree that I need advice on how to prune. One peach tree is about 4 years old and we pruned it to an open center, which is what all the advice on the web said. However it had not produced very many peaches. We purchased 1 peach and 1 nectarine last summer that have leaders on them and have never been pruned. This spring they produced very well (except that the squirls got all of them!). We do not want them to grow very tall and would like to prune them. I am wondering if they produced well because they came from a better nursery or because they were not pruned? Do you prune different in Florida than the rest of the US? Thanks for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help pruning peach trees

I have 2 peaches and one nectarine, like you, in Pinellas. I have always had best luck pruning my trees so that they grow up, i.e., taking off all the downward growing branches. I had a bumper crop this year-should have pinched off half the blooms-I would have had less fruit in numbers but bigger individual fruits.

o

Thanks for the information. Do you prune to keep the branches shorter also or just take off the downward branches? Do you take the leader off the tree?

o

you read this, right?
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS365

it may be too late to keep your older tree small, but you might consider making a radical cut this winter on the smaller trees. on my one-year old tree, i cut the trunk down to three feet. this year, i've summer pruned it into the vase shape recommended here in fla.

summer pruning is key if you want smaller trees. google "dave wilson dooryard orchard" for his detailed explanation.

the gist of that ifas pub -- peaches and nectarines bloom on one-year old wood. so, to maximize production, when you prune during the winter, remove older wood when possible. and prune so that there is a lot of "new growth" (previous season) that is strong and capable of holding fruit, and maximize the branches in that category that are around the perimeter of the canopy and within easy reach.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here