Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

a few pics

hester_2009
12 years ago

It seemed so nice and "cool" this morning, I walked around and took some photos - nothing spectacular - just wanted to keep the ornamental side of GW on track!lol

Can you see the bolivian sunflower "trees" in the back? I can't believe the size of them!

this was a very small piece of cactus a few weeks ago and I love the shape of it now!

I planted a small magnolia and it's had a few huge blooms!

A new little powderpuff.

Love to see other gardens!

Hester

Comments (17)

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Hester

I agree with you about this morning felt cool, that was a relief.

I love, love your pics! that blue vine is really nice! all the flowers are singing for you this morning.:)

I went to Lukas nursery last saturday and I asked them for a bush that has flowers is pretty and no care, so they gave me a grafted miami something gardenia

And I said 3 more small plants that go with that and no care, so they gave me this

Silvia

• FLgardenmom
    12 years ago

I'm drooling! I love the baskets on the wood fence in pic 2. I've been trying to jazz up the boring wood fence along the back of our property. I put a pair of rain boots that the kids outgrew on it and planted an ivy (that a sweet man and Lowes gave the children) and a potterweed in them. I think it looks super cute. I also did a painting with the kids to hang over the garden, but the hanger fell off, so I'll have to have hubby do something more sturdy. I'm pretty conservative with decorating inside the house. I feel like my garden areas are my chance to be a little more free. :)

I love seeing others' ideas!

• saldut
    12 years ago

Nice garden, nice pics Hester... please can you tell me what that hanging plant in the third pic is? I got one at the Swap and also got another similar but a bit different, and want to 'peg' them.... thanx, sally

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all,

Silvia - you got a couple of nice ones! I hope that gardenia really is maintenance free for you..and I wonder what the purplish low grower is? I like it.

Sally - I got that plant at the Sarasota Succulent Society sale and it wasn't labled. I assume it is some kind of orchid cactus and I always say I'm going to research online and find it but I never do! I will let you know if I ever find out, though.

Fl gardenmom - I had to put up a lot of fencing when I moved here and I keep looking for interesting stuff to put on them. I took a few more pics to show you - I have had these things for awhile - from Goodwilll or Tuesday morning I think.

I painted the piece of iron work and the pots to match the glazed pot that has the begonias. It 's right out my library window and when the fence weathers, it will be better.

this is my back entrance where I have a lot of hanging baskets. The painting is one my husband did (he was a professional artist) and I put it there to replace a mirror that the previous owner had. Can you imagine having to look at yourself each time you went in and out!!! I show you this as you mentioned a painting and you can see it works well.

Just a little piece on my garage

Last one! a funky butterfly from good will!

Again, sorry about the size - sometimes my program resizes and obviously, sometimes it doesn't!
    I give up.
    But hope you get some ideas here.
    Hester

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

I love seeing your garden Hester. I'm also loving the nice cool mornings. Today I spied:

In the cowpeas

Green Rose in the veggie bed

False Roselle

Tuesday was a beautiful and cool morning. So I took a walk around the front gardens and snapped a few scenes and put them in my journal. In a few months when the garden is all covered for a freeze I'll look back at this. And not miss the bugs one bit!

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: A Walk in the Garden

• amberroses
    12 years ago

How pretty everyone's pictures look especially Hester's. I didn't see any of that cool air you all allege to have been here this morning though. I can't wait for October.

• cindygardens
    12 years ago

Very pretty everyone,love to see everyone's gardens.Keep posting pics.Cindy

• Minderella
    12 years ago

Hester, Where and what kind is that magnolia tree? I have bee wanting one and can't see where to get one. Thanks for your time

Mindy

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Cool is relative I guess. When I can sit out on the porch with my morning cup of coffee and not need a sweat towel .... these days that is cool. I've got to admit that this morning I was looking forward to needing a light jacket to go with the first cup on the porch. I am especially looking forward to no more mosquitoes or deer flies.

~dianne

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

Here is my Cherry from this spring. But now it looks bad, with all the leaves having lots of spots (fungus?) I'm hoping I can keep it alive until it goes dormant. sigh:(

I'll take some more tomorrow of my garden, but I will share two fotos I took in Morocco (Agadir) and Argentina (Rosario) last year while I was working.

{{gwi:918363}}

{{gwi:918364}}

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mindy
    I found that magnolia at Lowe's a few weeks back - they had a whole bunch and they were miss priced I think because I paid $9.99 for it! It's a Little Gem. I should have bought more I guess!
    Dianne - love the pics. I have roselle too - one of old favorites. Great pic of the cat - I never seem to take good closeups
    Another coolish morning here in Sarasota - wish that it would continue but we've got a ways to go
    Hester

• annafl
    12 years ago

Love the ornamental pics! Hester, your garden grows so fast! The sunflower tree, the cassia and the pentas have grown so much since I was last there. Lovely. And the thurnbergia is spectacular. Yes, it is a wonderfully cool and dryish morning! Maybe we'll start getting more of them.

Silvia, that purple plant is an alternanthera. There are many kinds and I don't know the name of that specific one. I have the purple knight variety and I love the foliage.

Pretty roselle pic gardengimp. I love how you took it from below. Great photo of the cat too.

Cammunism those cherry blossoms are stunning! I didn't know we could grow those in FL.

Anna

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

Yea I am beginning to think they are susceptible to fungus. Amazing blooms though.

Here are some more photos. A Japanese Magnolia that seems to be doing much better. I need to prune it though to bring it up?

Also, an unfinished plant bed. I am going along as I come across free/inexpensive stuff. Got the gravel for free and the mulch too! Two Coreopsis, Porter Weed, and Turnera @ Lowes for $1 a piece (in the distressed section). The basil was an inch tall when my g/f gave it to me in May. Now it's nearly 4 feet tall!! Anyone know when they start dying back in North East Florida?

{{gwi:918365}}

{{gwi:918366}}

{{gwi:918367}}

• FLgardenmom
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting more funky art ideas. I love the single pane of fence. That might be what I need in front of the electrical box in out backyard. Ugh, I hate that thing.

• Minderella
    12 years ago

Yes Hester you should have bought some more and I would of been able to buy one off you LOL

• wanna_run_faster
    12 years ago

Hi Hester and everyone,

Love seeing your gardens, too! I thought I'd share a couple of my favorite things from my garden--usually anything fragrant, pink or yellow! Everything is ready for a good shaping and clean-up when it gets cooler. Until then it's a bit overgrown and weedy...

{{gwi:918368}}

{{gwi:918369}}

{{gwi:918370}}

{{gwi:918371}}

{{gwi:918372}}

{{gwi:918373}}

{{gwi:918374}}

{{gwi:918375}}

a href="http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2196357920072357225uRgOKa">;{{gwi:918376}}

a href="http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2444654280072357225mfMcoC">;{{gwi:918377}}

{{gwi:918378}}

{{gwi:918379}}

Helen

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning, Helen.
    Loved seeing your pics! We have many of the same plants...
    My preference is for pink or yellow, too.
    I'm jealous about your Thai crown of thorns. I have many of them and only a few are blooming. I think their blooms are great and I hope mine are just in a non-bloom cycle.
    Your trees and palms are so healthy - looks like you are a hard worker in the yard.
    Stay cool!
    Heter

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert