Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberroses

Drake elm

amberroses
14 years ago

I just purchased a drake elm at Lowes. Normally I would reasearch a little before buying a tree, but it was a great deal. Now, I am thinking of returing it. There is a lot of conflicting info online. Some say it is a small tree and some say it is a hugh tree. Some say it dangerously prone to damage in a hurricane and some say it does ok. Does anyone know anything about drake elms?

Comments (14)

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I was given two elm trees for helping with Earth day but I have no idea what variety. They seem happy for now.
    I think if we get another Andrew EVERYTHING is doomed.
    Not trying to sound glum mind you.

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

UF says : " An excellent tree that is surprisingly under-used . Height - 35' to 45 'with some pruning . "

Read this link and see what you think . Sounds like a keeper to me . You can always donate the tree to a school or a park and plant it in honor of a loved one .

Here is a link that might be useful: Ulmus parvifolia 'Drake': 'Drake' Chinese Elm

• KaraLynn
    14 years ago

I've never had a Drake elm myself but from ones I've seen growing around town I'd say it has the potential to be a medium sized tree. I think the tallest one I've ever seen was about 30 feet tall. All the ones that are growing in my area made it though the storms of 2004 just fine although by the time Frances got to us it was a tropical storm instead of a Hurricane. I do know that they held up better then the laural oaks though. One negative I've heard about them is that they are not to be planted near your septic system as they will quickly seek it out with their roots and then clog up the drain field. They are also prolific seeders. The trees bark is rather unique looking and I think looks really good.

Kara

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

Drake Elms are deciduous which means you will have a bare tree in winter. To say they are prolific seeders is a massive understatement. Each of my neighbors, the one to the left and the one to the right, have a Drake Elm in their back yard. Each year I pull hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of seedlings up. I am not kidding you. This is a daily occurrence. If you do not notice them in time, and one gets by you for awhile, you will not be able to pull it up. I have one that started right next to the base of one of my favorite roses. It has basically taken over the rose bush. Its trunk is as thick as the rose. There is no way to get rid of it except to dig up both the rose and the Drake Elm, separate them, and then re-plant the rose. I absolutely hate the seedlings that come up EVERYWHERE. Do what you want, but you'll remember my words when the time comes.

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

I have one growing right next to my house, too close in fact. It is the type of "Weeping Drake Elm", that I have not seen too often. In my neighborhood during "Francis" there were trees down all around us, but this tree didn't budge or shed any limbs. It is evergreen here in DeLand. I planted this tree in 1982, thinking it was a small tree, it it now about thirty feet tall and has a spreading, weeping habit. I like it. Sure, you'll have seedlings coming up, if you have an oak you'll have seedlings. It blooms in the fall and when its drops the blooms I have to clean them off the roof and walkways. Plant them away from your house and that won't be a problem.

good luck john

• amberroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think I will keep it. I already have to pull up oak seedlings all the time from my neighbor's tree anyway.

• babalu_aye
    14 years ago

I had one at a previous house here in St Pete. It was a beautiful tree. It was evergreen for me also. It was a still a young tree, maybe 15 ft tall, when I moved away from that house. I haven't been by there in several years so I couldn't tell you how big it is now.

I never noticed any seedlings from that one. The neighbor's carrotwood tree, on the other hand, was a different story!

John

• florah
    14 years ago

Our developer planted a drake elm at the corner of every house. We removed it because it was really close. My neighbor removed it a year later because it was too close to the house. Another neighbor removed it last week because it had penetrated his sewer pipe (which must have been cracked before).

Other than those problems, the tree looks nice.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I actually have one. I really love mine. I'd rather have an elm than a laurel oak any day. I didn't plant it, but a PO did.

Whenver I call a tree company, they always tell me how uncommon the elms are these days. Mine does have a wood boarer issue at the moment that needs to be addressed.

Regarding the 'reseeding' thing, mine is next to a cherry laurel...so, which one is more of the problem - who knows? I don't have a forest growing in my yard, so it's not a big issue.

They do lose leaves in the fall/winter, but not for a long time (ie: compared to maple trees in New England...).

I can post some pics if you want. Let me know.

• amberroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

saintpfla-yes, please post a picture if you can. I would help me to decide where to plant it. Thanks.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I'll try to get a couple of shots today and upload for you.

14 years ago

see link to Google images below

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Drake Elm

• dghays
    14 years ago

If you really want an interesting native elm, get a "Winged Elm' It's got the craziest bark. I have one about 15' tall so far. A non-native "chinese weeping elm" is also a beautiful smaller (to medium) sized tree, with cool looking, exfoliating bark.

Gary

13 years ago

Oh, gosh, let me say it again in the hopes that someone will be saved this misery. It is early spring and I now have Drake Elm seedlings by the hundreds of thousands in my yard. Popping up everywhere. I am so, so tired of them. Every square inch of every bed is full of them. Even in the front yard - - despite the fact that both neighbors' Drake Elms are in the back yards. I have been pulling the seedlings most of the day and have hardly made a dent. They are, indeed, as Kara says, "prolific seeders". That is the understatement of the year! LOL!