Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Cardinal Climber - no flowers?

tomncath
9 years ago

Getting ready for the hummer migration here. I started these Cardinal Climber vines from seed a month ago. Should the vines be blooming by now? I did have some fertilizer in the top portion of the mix and I wondering if that was a mistake.

Tom

Comments (13)

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

At least you have plants, mine never came up this year. I'd been growing them in the previous years and they always came up, bloomed quickly and did fine but not this year.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I never had good luck with that plant. My best hummingbird attractor is my golden dew drop plant. It blooms all summer long. I've been able to stand about a foot from one of them feeding on the flowers several times.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I have two trellises down in the garden too, started a week before this one in the container. They are not growing as quickly but several vines already at the top of one trellis and also no flowers :-( I wonder if my salt air and high humidity could be a factor.

Tom

• User
    9 years ago

A lot of things are growing way to fast this summer to stop and think about blooming, usually when they get a bit stressed they bloom. I think this fall, next month if it's a bit dryer, lots of blooms. Firespike is just starting as the fire bush is turning to seed, should be a great fall! As I posted earlier.......Chaya........never in 15 years here, so many zebras......

• SaintPFLA
    9 years ago

Hey Tom,

It's funny...I planted that last year from seed too!

Mine grew quite high before it put out flowers. It definitely did not flower until it was around 5 -6 feet.

And, it was never "covered" in flowers like on the picture of the seed pack!

Once it died, it never came back...nor did it leave any future generations.

I didn't notice any Hummers going near it either!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine grew quite high before it put out flowers. It definitely did not flower until it was around 5 -6 feet.

Mine are already 8 feet and no flowers yet, I hope Mark is right :-(

And, it was never "covered" in flowers like on the picture of the seed pack!

I didn't notice any Hummers going near it either!

Last minute decision to try it since I knew it would grow fairly quickly and I decided to put in hummer attractors way too late. From what you say it probably won't get a second chance, I'll only post back if otherwise.

Have you seen any hummers? Sally says she is seeing a few.

Tom

• saldut
    9 years ago

I saw one hummer for sure, don't know if there were more- he-she was working the coral-vine... awhile back there was one working the fire-bush and also the cape honeysuckle..... I saw a flock? of zebra-longwings in the fire-bush, and yellow sulphurs in the cassia... and a few monarchs at the milk-weed.... that's pretty much my menangerie at present but I am working at it diligently.... oh yes, I did see a large black-yellow w/tails b-fly (swallowtail?) searching the back-yard, for what I don't know....LOL, sally

• tomncath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over 10 feet now and still no flowers. What the heck? This one definitely looks to be a bust!

• castorp
    9 years ago

I say, Give it time. I'm growing its parent plant, "cardinal creeper" or cypress vine. It has covered a big section of fence and is only beginning to have a very few flowers.

Bill

• tomncath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will Bill, not planning to pull them now, just disappointed as hummers will start showing up here any day now and I wanted more stuff established for this season.

Tom

• SaintPFLA
    9 years ago

Looks pretty! That's about what I got too and then it was dead by November.

I'm thinking about trying it again but planting in the spring.

• Susan Schreckengast
    last year

The last two years I started indoors. All the plants are puny with heart shaped leaves, which are definately not cardinal climber like the seed packet claimed. Dissapointed in Ferry Morris.