Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Clueless on Blueberries...

puglvr1
10 years ago

Hello to all the blue berry bush pros out there...I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to growing these and have 2 small blueberry bushes appx. 2 1/2 ft just planted about a year ago and was wondering "if" I'm suppose to prune them and when?

Any advise is appreciated...Thanks!!

Comments (20)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Pug,

Nope let them be. If you want to in the winter you can prune off the low scraggly stuff but you don't have to. As the plants get older you will benefit from summer pruning them right after the harvest is over and then pinching them to make a bigger top. I stop pinching mine August 1. Makes the plants bigger and bushier for the next year so you will get more berries. Right now you want to concentrate on growth growth growth....should get at least 18" out of them a year and new canes forming as well as nice big green leaves.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Eventually, you're supposed to start thinning out the oldest canes every year, aren't you?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

TheTradition,

Yes but that is several years down the road after the bush has reached it's mature height and width. Probably year 6 or 7 in ground.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank YOU Bamboo!! I will let it be and fertilize them monthly with acid loving fertilizer...I've also been adding a few inches of Pine Bark mulch for acidity...hope I'm doing it right?

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Bamboo had me do a weekly drench with Ammonium Sulfate. It's made a really big difference. See the "What's wrong with my blueberry bush?" thread.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Pug,

As TheTradition said the amonium sulfate makes a HUGE difference.....plants love the stuff and just not blueberries. Biggest thing is using rainwater to water the BB if you can. Our water is very alkaline and hard on the bushes unless you add acid to it. As long as the plants are green and growing you are doing it right. Blueberry bushes are not shy and will let you know very quickly if they are unhappy.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does Amonium Sulfate come in a small bag? I only have two little bushes,lol...where can I find it? Also, how much do I use...Thanks!

Thanks Tradition...I will look for that thread...it will probably answer my questions.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Pug,

For in ground plants 1 teaspoon per gallon of water weekly mid February through September. Just make sure the plants are not dry when you use it. I'm sure farm supply stores sell it in smaller bags. It is a tank add for glyphosphate (roundup) it makes the round up work better and faster so you can use less roundup than the directions call for and get the same effect. Reason I mention that is sometimes the bag will just say Ammonium Sulfate and won't have the NPK on it and won't be with the fertilizer but shelved with the weed killer but it is all the same, it is 21-0-0 and will help keep the soil acid.

Not sure where you live but if you are near Dade City Helena sells it like $15 for a 51 yes 51 pound bag....I have no idea why it is a 51# bag:) Just keep the stuff dry as it loves to soak up water.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I've discovered the secret to making rain! Simply drench your blueberry plants with AS solution, and stand back and watch for the impending t-storm to wash all your fertilizer away. This has happened the past three Saturdays. The entire state of Florida is clear of rain except for my house today. Grrrrr.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

TheTradition,

One of the neat things about Ammonium Sulfate is it binds tightly to the soil so it resists being washed away.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bamboo...will have to check the local nurseries ( I live in Highlands County)

Tradition, I love rain! Will have to try that trick when I want it to rain,lol...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay...I'm a little confused? Lol...not that is unusual :o)

Just got back from a local nursery with this product " Aluminum Sulfate"...I told her what I need it for (Blueberries) and asked her for Ammonium Sulfate" like you guys recommended and she said she only has this one and is what I need? ( Aluminum Sulfate) Is this stuff the same thing, do you think I can use this instead?...or did she sell me the wrong stuff?

Thanks for your help!!

• thetradition
    10 years ago

No, aluminum sulfate is not the same as ammonium sulfate. Hi-Yield makes an ammonium sulfate, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ammonium sulfate vs. aluminum sulfate

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tradition...guess I'll have to take this back :o(

Now the problem is finding the right stuff,lol...

• Jcsherman
    10 years ago

Hi there Bambo, I dont mean to hijack this thread but I believe it still follows. Longtime reader never posted. You said you do "For in ground plants 1 teaspoon per gallon of water weekly mid February through September." What about for container blueberries. I did read the thread on AS from fruitnut but I wanted your take on it. Thanks

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Pug,

As Tradition said wrong stuff. Some people do use aluminum sulfate but i would NEVER use it on anything. Not to pry but what town are you in?

JcSherman,

I would use the rate Fruitnut suggested. He knows his stuff and is very knowledgeable on growing in pots....what was the dosage.... 2.5 tsp per 5 gallons? The tsp per gallon can be used in pots as long as enough water is run through the pot between feedings but why chance it? Perhaps use the 1 tsp per gallon rate the first time then use the reduced rate after that. The tsp per gallon rate won't hurt them put if you do it week after week it could.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Highlands County 2 hours south of Orlando...called everyone I could think of...big box stores, local nurseries, feed stores, ACE...NO one sells AS **sigh**

Hate to order on line and pay shipping which is higher than the cost of the product,lol...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I don't know how much you need: you can get 2 lbs delivered to your door for $7.00 on eBay, if you win the bid (link below). Would that work?

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay - auction ends in 48 hours

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol!! I appreciate you posting the link...as luck would have it Tractor Supply by me carries it...almost forgot about them. They're expecting some in this Friday!

Thanks for all your help...

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Glad you found some. Closest Helena to you is in Wauchula I think.