Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fence Top Tables

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 9:16

I first saw one of these in one of Tom's (TomNCath) pictures. Or at least it was the first time I really noticed it. Since then I have seen them in quite a few other pictures from people. I am curious as to the benefit of these tables. Is it merely an easy to clean thing, "Nothing clean cause all the dirt just fell through!", or is there some other purpose to them?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fence Top Tables

Have a picture or a link?

o

Here is one of the images from TomnCath that originally piqued my interest. Theirs seems to use a thicker gauge metal than others I have seen. Others have almost a chain-link fence top.

(Thank you Tom for letting me borrow your image! Though I didn't really ask. But I'm guessing you wouldn't really mind. I hope.)

o

I believe that's the top of one of his very excellent trellises rather than a table.

o

Perhaps, but I have seen tables like this as well. Most recent one was a step-by-step tutorial of dealing with pot-bound plants, I don't remember where it was though.

o

I think I have my own answer though. While searching for 'wire top garden bench' I found a couple of "How-To" articles for building greenhouse benches/tables. So I'm guessing it's merely the ease of cleaning.

o

OK - thanks! I see what you're talking about now. I have a frame with wire that I use for screening materials. Never thought about using it for potting until this query. Sure would make cleanup easier if I did it over a wheelbarrow or barrel.

o

Ladywingr said: Sure would make cleanup easier if I did it over a wheelbarrow or barrel.

I keep my potting mix in a large plastic tub. I pot everything, large and small, in the tub and never have to clean up anything. Anything that spills out of a pot falls directly back into the tub. I invented this method years ago after trying to work with potting soil, as needed, from the bag in which I purchased it. It was frustrating, as I always spilled it. Now I have little-to-no waste at all.

I posted pictures of it in a prior thread - see link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: What are your favorite beyond-the-basics garden tools?

o

Thanks for the additional tip! I'm always ready to try something that will make the job more pleasureable.

Terri

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 8:59

Perhaps these pictures will help:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And, here's my potting bench:

P1040497

P1040498

A simple 2' concrete mixing tub you can get at any Big Box. Note I can move it around to stay in the shade, and I also us it to sterilize my containers between seasons when they need a 5% bleach washing. ;-)

Tom

o

Tom...

Stop posting pictures! Every time I think that I can't get any more envious of your garden setup, you post new pictures and I find myself getting a little greener, well, except for my thumbs.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 19:25

Well then, you probably don't want to see these later pictures of the Morning Glories on the arbor....;-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

You are a cruel man, Mr. Tom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here