Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backberry question

Posted by apapjim 9 A/B (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 9:20

Around the first of the year I purchased three six Triple Crown blackberries. They were very small but planted in the right mix they took off quickly grew into healthy plants. I didn't expect a crop the first year but they didn't produce a single berry! I'm wondering now if perhaps they are open pollinated and missing bees. I'm getting ready to pot them up to 25 gal containers. Any ideas?

I'm also getting ready to repot some camellia cuttings. My thinking is to use Lou or Bamboo Rabbit's blackberry mix since they are an acid loving plant. Am I on the right track?

Papa Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backberry question

• Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 9:47

Hi Jim, first year what happens is the bb send up canes. It is on these canes the 2nd year that fruit develops. The 2nd year it will also send up canes which will bear fruit the following year and so on and so on. I too have very healthy 1st year plants. Looking forward to blackberry cobbler next year!

Jo

o

Papa Jim,

Pot them up just like you said in the BB soil mix and you will have delicious berries next spring. I have a few of these plants and making more, they are great tasting huge berries. The canes are very limp and if not tied upright to a fence or something for support they will run along the ground and you will be on all fours sniffing out the berries hiding in the weeds. This is my favorite black berry and if you want to make more plants just bury the tip of the cane in good potting soil and it will sprout out a new plant. Clip off the mother cane from the new plant and rebury it in another pot and it will make another new plant. I find it grows more like a vine than a cane with little side branches making the berry clusters. Just be aware the critters (like raccoons, opossums, etc.) also like the berries so you may have to cage your berry patch. To make sure I get some berries I also grow a few plants inside my pool screen cage so I know they are self pollinating.

Enjoy...
Lou

o

Ut-oh! Looks like I'm going to need a new cage. I planned to grow tomatoes, blue berries and black berries but only have two cages. Squirrels cleaned me out of blue berries this year and now it looks like black berries are on the endangered list. Can't live without tomatoes!

You're dead on about how the triple crowns grow. Very low to the grown and vine like..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here