Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with staghorn

Posted by dirtygardener73 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 9:48

My staghorn did not do well after the move, and only two fronds on it survived. I have a large slatted orchid basket I want to put it in, since I can't leave it outdoors here in the winter. There is spanish moss EVERYWHERE here, so I was thinking I would just use that as "bedding" material in the basket. I know it probably has mites, so do I need to bleach it first? I thought that if I just laid the two fronds that are left on top of it, it will eventually cover the whole basket in a ball shape. Whatdya think? Would leaves be better, because I have a ton of those around here too, and will have even more in the fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with staghorn

While I have a couple big staghorns, I don't consider myself knowledgeable about them. But the thing that first came to mind was why do you need bedding for them. Usually they are just secured to the bark or whatever. I use that green gardeners tape to secure my epiphytes to things. Then when they've attached themselves, I go back and rip that stuff off as I don't like the look of it.

There was a thread a few years back on the orchid forum about putting moss on roots to keep the humidity levels up. As I was caretaking my father and was losing orchids due to my lack of time/attention to give them, I tried this and have had excellent results. So I can see a use for this on the stags just to give them an extra boost while you're waiting for it to get established.
Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: My plant list (which proves that at one time I had way too much time on my hands, lol)

o

Well, the orchid basket is sort of deep, so I would need something in it to lift the staghorn up to the top of the basket. I know about spaghnum moss, but thought that since the Spanish moss was free, maybe that would work. It would provide moisture and would drain pretty well, I think.

I am in an apartment with a small patio, and need to be able to hang it. I'm trying to use what I have available.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 18:26

Seems I read somewhere awhile back, that the spanish moss is full of little critters and to zap it in the microwave to kill them.... anyone with information on this ? sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here