Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

summer pics

hester_2009
11 years ago

Good summer morning all!

I'm been awol but all is well and thought I'd post a few pics hoping to urge others on to do the same. With all the rain and summer warmth, I know your gardens are lush and green.

The first is plain old allamanda and thumbergia in my back yard- there was nothing here when I moved so I'm happy to see stuff growing.

This is the entrance to that back yard - brazilian nightshade and passion flower on the arbor and assorted butterfly plants in the yard.

Front yard (once a driveway) I love the thryallis. You can just barely see a hummingbird tree to the left. My neighbor bought it, didn't like it, so gave it to me. It's quite nice

BTW, the shrubs on the little path are texas sage which have not bloomed for me in over a year. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why? I also have a sage tree doing the same thing.

Ralph the cat on his morning stroll!

A new purchase - tea cup alocasia - it's cool the way it holds water in the leaves

Last, my favorite calliandra

Thanks for looking and please, let's see some photos!

Hester

Comments (19)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Although my mailing address is a few miles north of "the border," in my heart, I live in FL. In 10 years, when my feet will join my heart, I fantasize about having a yard just like yours. In fact, I REALLY, REALLY like yours... really! Do you happen to have any thoughts about moving in 2022-2023? (That felt weird to type, are those numbers genuinely real dates?) Thanks for the tour!!

• marcia_m
    11 years ago

I love seeing your garden, Hester. I wish I was there now. Would like to see mine, too, but probably won't until early November. My garden in PA is not at its best right now--that was in May. It's been very hot and dry here. Maybe I can get some photos of the butterfly bushes blooming and add to your post. (This summer my Florida neighbor is minding the begonia plants I grew from your cuttings. I have two pots--one for her and one for me. She said they've been blooming all summer.)

I really like the tea cup alocasia. I'll bet the little frogs will like it, too.
    Marcia

• cocoabeachlorax
    11 years ago

I am in love. Tell me more about Calliandra, please. It's just gorgeous.

What does it like (sun, shade, dry, wet, temps), fast grower ? Slow grower ? Common name ?

Where can I get one ? ! and where should I put it.

Gorgeous gardens.

• annafl
    11 years ago

Oh, Hester, your garden looks spectacular!!! It is so lush and has so much color! Every time you show it I see so many things I haven't noticed before. You need to show the side yard with all the bromeliads/begonias. Certainly one of my favorite spots in your garden.

I went to your nursery yesterday. Wasn't expecting to, but ended up by 17th street, so thought I should check. Didn't have much cash on me (fortunately), but did leave with a teacup that was planted today. BTW, your beautyberry was left behind.

Anna

• ladywingr
    11 years ago

Hester,

It's GORGEOUS! All your hard work certainly shows. My gardens are starting to look tired and I've started pulling the annuals for fall planting. Nothing photograph worthy for sure.

Love your choice of plants and the pathways. Just beautiful.

Terri

• marcia_m
    11 years ago

Hester, you motivated me to get out my camera. However, I'm just going to show some close ups and bug photos--my Pennsylvania garden is just not a happy place right now.
    Marcia

alstroemeria

swallowtail

black swallowtail

this must be a special flower :)

katydid on daylily--my garden is pretty much a no-kill zone.

cardinal flower

balloon flower, which is more purple than this photo shows.

butterfly weed

Anna shared cuttings of this justicia with me. They will be returning to Florida with me in the fall, as will the Epiphyllum oxypetalum that I've had for 3 or 4 years but has never bloomed.

Anna, I can't remember the name of this plant. I hope it will grow faster once in the ground in Florida, but I have kept it alive. I think I'll transplant it into a bigger pot--the second time.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Hester, your garden is lovely. I love seeing pictures of it. You have really worked hard on it. I am sad to admit I've never learned to use the camera and post the pictures.

Marcia your photos are lovely as well. :o)

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all - glad you enjoyed
    Marcia...your pics are wonderful. I'm sure your garden will be fine upon your return! I have that justica from Anna also and it is huge!
    Cocabeach....Calliandra called powderpuff - there is another very common variety but the one in my pic is calliandra haematocephala. It gets HUGE! mostly sun is good and little care except chopping back although I'm letting this one turn into a tree. You can this one in local nurseries and the big stores carry the more common kind.
    Ana - I'm going to post pics of the side garden on a new thread! Glad you got a tea cup plant (I think the nursery is too full of overgrown stuff so I'm glad you found something in good shape!)
    Katkin - posting pics is so easy! Try it, you'll like it!
    Hester

• annafl
    11 years ago

Hi Marcia,

Love the butterfly/flower photos from your PA garden. Wish I could grow a butterfly bush. Really love them. I am not patient enough to get a good photo of the butterflies. You've done an outstanding job! The alstroemerias are beautiful too.

The justicia is called 'golden flame' and is a favorite of hummers and cloudless sulfurs in my garden. You've done a great job rooting it and it will get big as Hester says. All the more color, though. That thing blooms more than just about anything in my yard. The second photo is a bird's nest anthurium. Mine get 5-6 feet tall, so they get really big too. Yours looks wonderful! The leaves will get wavier as it gets larger. It likes to have some of its roots exposed as it is an epiphyte. It looks like some of your tall pink pentas rooted also. Great growing!

Anna

• Randy Ritchie
    11 years ago

Hester, the photos are gorgeous! I'm really wishing my yard could be so worthy, lol. But alas, I sm still relegated to mostly the pot-ghetto life.

Randy

• mikem8560
    11 years ago

Great pics heres a few of my yard ive only been here a couple years and havnt done as much as i like with a health issue.
    [IMG]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/flowers/31c78a2a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/flowers/1ce36e3d.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/flowers/abae4c36.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/flowers/fc2bc5c0.jpg[/IMG]

Ive got to work pn the front yard next.

• mikem8560
    11 years ago

• Randy Ritchie
    11 years ago

Nice garden and nice setting. Where are you located, Mike? And is that cutie white doggie yours?

Randy

• mikem8560
    11 years ago

Charlotte county Randy and yes that is my girl GiGi a bishon.

• cocoabeachlorax
    11 years ago

Awww, Hi GiGi !

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Mikem, I love bishons. I just rescued a 2 year old deaf one from a shelter after loosing my first one to cancer.

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike - Issac kept me off GW so I'm late in posting..thanks for the photos..You have some nice plants! I envy you being on the water, too.
    Hope you didn't flood over the last few days!
    Hester

• marcia_m
    11 years ago

Nice plants, Mike, and so is your view. My husband and I are snowbirds in North Port during the winter.

Thanks for the reminders about the plants I'm growing, Anna. I noticed a hummer on the golden flame flowers yesterday--guess she enjoys them here in PA, too.
    Marcia

• chloe92us
    11 years ago

Hester, I'm just south of you in englewood. Just moved in and there is nothing. Your photos are inspiring. Thank you.