Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding a retail nursery in South Florida

Posted by albaby 10B (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 9:52

As we move through the summer rainy season, I'm putting together my list of garden projects - one of which is finally landscaping a very long, narrow patch along my back patio. We've decided to go with a mix of sansevieria and heliconias. But I've got literally 100' feet that I need to plant out. That means I've got to find a good local nursery that's got both a large quantity of both types of plants and (preferably) a decent price.

Does anyone have any good general recommendations for finding a retail nursery? There's always google, of course - but if there's a website that contains reviews of nurseries, it would be very helpful. And of course, if anyone has a particular nursery that they think would be a good choice, I'd welcome specific recommendations as well.

Alan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding a retail nursery in South Florida

Where are you exactly (and the radius you would be willing to travel to)? I could recommend a few in SW Fla. I met a bunch of very dedicated folks at a recent native plant sale, but they'd never show up in a google search.

Chrissy

o

Chrissy, we're over in Miami - SE Florida. Homestead and western Broward County are certainly doable, but I don't think we'd head over west.

Alan

o

Aww sorry I couldn't help, but I'm sure someone else here will be able. Seems there are a lot of folks I that neck of the woods, er glades :)

o

If you go south on Flamingo Road after 595 there's literally one nursery after another. You can hit 5-10 with no trouble and comparison shop for what you need. Also, try
Jesse Durko's Nursery
5151 SW 70th Avenue
Davie FL 33314
(954) 792-2297

o

I realize this post is almost a year old- but if you are still interested, ECHO nursery is WAY worth a trip to SW Florida; just across alligator alley for you! http://echonet.org

Their global farm is extensive and amazing!

I relocated to Sanibel Island 10 months ago and my goal is to slowly turn 100% of my landscape edible/useable.

The tours they give there are worth the trip- I have been there many times and always learn new things when there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echo Farms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here