Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have luck growing spinach?

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 10:22

I tried growing spinach from seeds last year and they didn't germinate. I did cold strat them. Have you had any luck growing it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have luck growing spinach?

Never.

o

Grew some spinach last year. It was a salad variety. It took awhile to germinate. I helped to sprinkle a fine layer of peat or seed starting mix and tamp it down over the seeds to keep them moist. Picked it as baby greens but had problems with something eating it. Going to plant a lot more this year.

o

I'll try the seed starting mix this time. I was lucky and got some on clearance at Dollar General. Thanks! I could eat it every day.

o

zackey,

I grow spinach every year with good success. Around the first of October, I fold half a pack of seeds in a paper towel, wet it and leave in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 12 to 14 days. By that time the seeds have sprouted and I plant the sprouts in small containers. It is tedious, but we love spinach. If you use a zip lock bag and zip it, the seeds won't sprout. Leave it unzipped so the seeds can breath.

o

Red Malabar is used as a substitute by some people. I am growing it, but have never tasted it.

o

I am growing some Malabar spinach now. It doesn't taste the same. Mine isn't doing much. Mostly trying to seed.

o

I dont have luck with growing it from seed but do ok if I buy a 6 or 9 pack of seedlings from the store. Here I put it out in late October or early November. I grow okinawa spinach year round. It tastes different than regular spinach you buy at publix but I like it on my sandwiches or added to romain in a salad.

o

I had some that germinated well this past spring. 18 plants. Every one was eaten by deer and/or squirrels.

So no. I haven't had luck growing spinach. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here