Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Popcorn Cassia in bloom

Not too much to say about this plant except that it freezes to the ground every winter. On the negative side, they re-seed like crazy. Positive side, they don't have runners.

This patch of popcorn cassia is located right next to the street so passers-by get to enjoy the view also.

Christine

Comments (17)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I love the smell of mine, it makes me hungry. Yours is lovely.

• shellfreak
    10 years ago

I miss mine. A wicked thunderstorm took it out. The smell was divine.

• User
    10 years ago

Very nice! Great location! Thanks again for the lemon grass, dogs love it! Take a bite every time we pass it!

• cejay
    10 years ago

hmm never heard of it being called popcorn cassia. Always heard Candlabra Cassia

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

Cejay, I was surprised also to hear of "popcorn" cassis. Did a little googling and found that "popcorn" and "candlebra" are similar but different. Popcorn is cassia didymobotrya (whew! thank goodness it's simply called popcorn) and candlebra is cassia alata.

I've tried to find their differences but so far all I know is that the "popcorn" smells like same when you rub the leaves or the wind blows through the plant.

Hopefully someone here can help us out and let us know which they prefer and why. I've been noodling with the idea of adding a cassia to the garden for the butterflies and naturally want the "best" one.

June

• User
    10 years ago

Pretty much any type you find in Florida will attract the Sulphur's!

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark - I haven't seem my dog take a bite of the lemon grass yet. Well, see. He eats regular grass. This cassia is an attention getter from the street. I look forward to it blooming every summer.

cejay & juneroses - My plant source called the plant popcorn. I thought that candle stick was just another name for the plant. Thanks for pointing that out.

Christine

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Popcorn cassia smells like --- well popcorn. Candle stick doesn't and it's flower is a little longer like a candle stick. :o)
    I have both and they do self seed, I haven't had them to be a bear to weed out. The popcorn I pruned to a small tree.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Have a pic of my Cassia roxburghii on page two . Took 12 years to flower . Jury still out on the seeding lol
    gary

• echobelly
    10 years ago

I'm jealous! I have a bunch of Candlestick Cassia in my front yard and they're only about a foot high. There is one bush that survived the winter, it has one bloom on it, but is kinda sad looking. I started seeds early in pots to give them a head start, but those are no bigger than the ones that self-seeded. I didn't realize how easily it self-seeds, and soon will have to go in and thin them out.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    10 years ago

echobelly - They surely do re-seed quite freely. In fact, I didn't even plant this clump in the photo. They are all volunteers. You are in a warm spot so perhaps you will get many more blooms later this fall as your plant gets larger.

Christine

• drofplants
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Very pretty! Wonderful plant. Mine is in Union City California.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I'm using it up here (WI) as the center plant in large containers. Simply awesome. Now, I'm investigating whether or not there might be other members of the Fabaceae that could also be used in the north as an annual in like manner. These popcorn Cassias are hard to beat!

Another one I'm looking at is "Pride of Barbados" or Caesalpinia pulcherrima. As another member of the Fabaceae, it has the pinnately compound foliage but quite a different look in the flower. I thought it'd be nice to compare and contrast in some area having a number of our larger planter types. Cool group of plants for sure, and one in which I suspect more northerly gardeners like myself will be able to avail ourselves of these items in the future.

+oM

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

I miss my Cassias up here in North FL. Are there any that are cold hardy enough to grow up here in 9a?

• drofplants
    8 years ago

9b-10a is what I have experienced here in Union City California over the last 45 years. The cassia, has burnt back, so I usually cover it with a blanket a few times every winter. It is also very close to the house, so it may get some benefit from that. Zip code 94587

• katkin_gw
    8 years ago

I grew mine as a tree with one huge trunk. If you know me, you know I make trees/standards out of every thing. It was down by the sea wall though and when we had to have the sea wall repaired we had to take it out. I wouldn't mind having one again though.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!