Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

new bloom

KaraLynn
10 years ago

My new spider lily, Amaryllidaceae Hymenocallis caribaea, is blooming and I wanted to share. I just got this plant this spring through a swap with a fellow gardener who lives in Puerto Rico.

Comments (11)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Kara, that spider lily is gorgeous!

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Congratulations - beautiful! They are also often called Peruvian Daffodils. Those bulbs will multiply like crazy; I started with just a few and in a couple years later, the clumps were huge! Another thing to think about, these bulbs like to be really, really deep - like 8-10 inches or more down in the soil - which makes them really hard to move/remove/relocate if they are anywhere near tree roots. Early on, I made the mistake of planting them near my Green Ash tree. They multiplied like rabbits. Went to move them and I could not dig out all of the bulbs below the tree roots. Very nice new addition to your garden!

Carol in Jacksonville

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have another plant that was labeled as a peruvian daffodil and while the flowers look similar that plant only blooms once in the spring for me. Maybe this is a case of a name being given to multiple plants.

This plant seems to act more like a crinum lily (also in the amaryllidaceae family) in that it's a repeat bloomer. This is actually the second flower stalk off this bulb. Other then the name the plant you're describing matches up to what the person who sent it told me about it. The place it's planted is free of tree roots and I would love to have a big mass of them growing there!

This is the plant that I've always called a peruvian daffodil (Hymenocallis festalis).

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Lovely, I really enjoyed the tour I had of your yard, it is gorgeous.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    The first looks like what I know as "bog lily" i have a variagated form that also has the webbing between the petals. The second looks MUCH more like what I know as "Peruvian daffodils". Isn't it wonderful about common names ?? lol Obviously niether one is a daffodil or a lily
    Oh well they are beautiful anyway lol gary

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Kara, if you ever have spares of either of those, I'd love one!

When is the next garden party, anyway?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Kara, you're right: the label "Peruvian Daffodil" is way overused. If you go to that other gardening/plant forum/database, there are six (6!) different plants in the Hymenocallis genus with the name Peruvian Daffodil. Both of your plants sure look nice. I think white flowers are always a great addition to a colorful garden. They add good balance.

Carol

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, morningloree! I enjoyed having you come. Some of the plants you gave me are blooming now although I've already forgotten their names. It's short with orange flowers, the vine is growing fast but hasn't bloomed yet.

Shear, unfortuneatly I only have a few bulbs of the first one at this time so I can't share any yet. If it seeds or muliplies quickly I'll let you know! As for the second one, I originally bought that at walmart in a bag in the spring. Good chance that come spring the walmart nearest to you will have them. Oh and if you're asking when I'll have another party it won't be until spring. I'm currently trying to revamp my back garden.

This post was edited by karalynn on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 18:02

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Re-vamp it?

Have I even seen pics of your back garden? I don't think I have... so get some pics up here!

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really shouldn't share any pictures as I've been neglecting the back garden for several years while I've been concentrating on the front. But here's a hint as to why the back garden needs to be revamped. Starting just in front of the stool and going past the blue pot is a pathway that is so overgrown with plants you can barely see it anymore. And those plants hiding the base of the bottle tree are almost all weeds. I'm so ashamed that I've let the back get into such a state! Once I get at least some more of the weeding done and a few new plants added I'll post some better pictures.

This post was edited by karalynn on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:46

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

That will be the perfect "before" picture!

Sometimes, weeding is my favorite part of gardening. Being able to see the difference and not having to wait is pretty appealing!