Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cassia?

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 10:56

Photobucket Photobucket got seeds from south florida years ago, 15 ft. high, first year it didn't freeze. blooms!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cassia?

The leaves look like my Cassia Javonica. Pics I've seen show long draping yellow flower clusters.

I got seeds from a GW'er back in 2010, but my tree hasn't gotten very big and no flowers yet.

How old is yours?

Susie

o

I thought cassia javanica was pink? Is there a yellow variety?

I would have said cassia fistula for this one.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 17:38

I vote cassia fistula. I raised one from seed in the past on another property. The mom is at one of the public libraries in Sarasota and is spectacular in full bloom! It's a keeper, Mark. Hope it gets more cold resistant as it gets bigger.

Anna

o

Right you are, guys! You passed the test . . .

Actually, I was thinking FISTULA but my fingers typed javanica. I got seeds from both and I just love to say Javanica.

Susie

o

i haven't had a clue for many years since we grabbed a seed pod in s. fla......nice to be able to tell folks what it is..have alot of stuff like that......:) time will tell......m

o

It is Cassia fistula. It is semi tender when young but gets hardier as it gets older. Cassia javanica is a tender tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here