Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Poolscaping' help

Posted by mjj047s 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 11:26

Was looking to put some liriope/monkey grass along the back part of my pool deck PIC1 (which we're planning on resurfacing/staining soon) - could you suggest a better plant? I think 25 of them (@ $2 a plant) is a good, cheap alternative.

Additionally, do you think I should do anything to the other side? PIC2 - thanks in advance!!!

Saving for a new fence...will add landscaping around the fence line when finished.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Poolscaping' help

pic 2

o

I have a few ideas but if I were you, I'd post this question on the Landscape Design Forum. They are really good at handling tricky landscaping plans. Make sure you put your Zone and the area you live, in your message and what your sun conditions are like (North, South, East, West).

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Design

o

Thanks Jane, I'll do that (can I delete this post, or just leave it be?)

o

Liriope should be fine, Crotons might also look nice, they are pretty low maintenance and not messy. I like tropical stuff so I also vote for some heliconia, elephant ears. Lakeview Jasmine also makes a nice ( fragrant) evergreen hedge.

o

Any reason why you want to go with a low growing plants like liriope there? Not to knock your fence, but unless you're replacing it, I would be tempted to plant something taller to screen it all the way around and then plant lower stuff in front of it, to give the garden a more enclosed feel. Example: podocarpus hedge with lowere plants of contrasting texture in front of it, near the walk. Or if you didn't want to trim the hedge you could use a mix of tall but narrow upright plants, again with lower plants in front.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here