Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Loquat Variety Has The Biggest Fruit?

Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 11:42

I've got a dwarf loquat tree that is nice and healthy and produces quite a bit of nice-tasting fruit. The only problem is, the fruit are kinda "dwarfish" themselves. By the time I get them peeled and cored, there's not much left!
Can anybody recommend a full-sized loquat tree that produces large fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Loquat Variety Has The Biggest Fruit?

Photobucket Portuguese Loquat. older gentleman at work gave me the seeds he brought back. only time will tell, says they are as big as tennis balls......?

o

Hi just wondering how the portuguese loquat is doing?
Any pics? I would really like a cutting to graft on my fruiting tree maybe it will speed up the fruiting time of the graft?

o

Thinning your fruit and fruit clusters early should allow the remainder to reach maximum size.

o

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg050 is a link from U of F. It indicates fruit will not come true from seed. Grafting required.

o

I think biggest Loquat variety is Big Jim or Eriobotrya Japonica.
this one is amazing.

o

I've got five different grafted loquat trees. The Christmas variety has the largest fruit from the five.

Search top tropical website for loquat varieties and availability of grafted, high quality plants. I bought 2 of my trees from them.

I could also send you some photos from my garden if you provide me your email.

Thomas

o

thomas12
Can you send me some photos from your garden if I provide you my email.(fordimex@yahoo.com)
Did you get any fruit any of them
bitki07

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here