Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warm Climate Cherry Trees

Posted by sultry_jasmine_night Florida z9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 12:11

I found this Tulare cherry tree today when looking at fruiting trees. This one says it is a newer variety and needs only 400 chill hours and will fruit in zn 6 to 9b. Does anyone have any experience with the Tulare, Brooks, or Coral varieties or getting any other true cherry trees to fruit in North florida? I'm in NE FL and my dd wants a cherry tree badly lol.
~Lenette

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulare Cherry Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warm Climate Cherry Trees

There are actually two other varieties of sweet cherry with lower reported chill hours (Minnie Royal 200-300hours and Royal Lee 200-300hrs).

I am about 30 miles north of Tampa and do plan on testing these two cv's in my area this year.

o

Jamaican Cherries are delicious. Lisa turned me on to those... they taste like coconut.

Tropicalfreak

o

jb_fla thank you I will check out those two varieties.

Tropicalfreak: Is the Jamaican cherry similar to the Barbados cherry? I had heard about the Barbados but not the Jamaican. Cool!

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 12:26

I have a hedge of the Surinam (?) cherry, both red and black... and they are delish... but the birds and bugs get them first.....sally

o

Hmm, I will have to look into these. We are planning on planting fruit trees on our property and would love to do some cherries.

o

IMO barbados cherries are not great. Surinam cherries, particuarly the black ones are good, but probably an aquired taste. Other 'tropical cherries' that are quite good are Grumichama, Pitomba and Cherry of the Rio Grande (COTRG).

Of all of these I like Grums the most, pitomba's taste more apricot-ish. But COTRG are very good and can handle all the cold zone 9 gets (mine got 18deg this year with no damage).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here