Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit Rats

Posted by billbrandi 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 12:16

I have lost at least half of my Brogdon avocado crop to "fruit rats" this year. At least that's what I thought. The fruit from the upper part of the tree would fall to the ground when ripe, land softly in the grass and be ready to pickup and eat. Except when I came home from work more than half were chewed up.

Darn fruit rats, I thought. Finally caught the "rats" in the act. You'd think with all the toys we buy them they would have enough to chew on.

photo fruitrats_zpsf3b52912.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit Rats

Haha - maybe that's what's making their coats so nice & shiny!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 12:22

Bill

I just hope that your pets didn't eat any of the avocados! I am including a link about avocados being toxic to dogs. I am very careful about picking the fruits that drop so my dogs don't even think about it.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: avocados

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 14:19

Never mind the fruit-rats..how abt. those da.. squirrels! they have 'tasted' every one of my mangoes and now are starting on the banana bunches.... and the cats don't even bother with them, guess they realize it's a losing proposition! sally

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 16:29

Bill, please be careful of your dogs and the avocados, I almost lost mine twice do to him eating them. Had to take him to the emergency vet twice. Avocados are very toxic to dogs and horses.

o

A few years ago there was a lactating red fox that would come get avocados. Never knew about dogs and horses. Glad to know. Thanks.

o

I love seeing pictures of everyone's dogs. They are so cute!

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:54

o

Regarding toxicity of avocados and dogs, thanks for the head's up. It seems they don't want to eat them - just toss them up in the air, chew on them a little and then discard them. But I will take your advice and make sure I pick them up each day.

o

Now those are some well fed rats! :-)

o

yes, they are well-fed. When you adopt your dogs from rescue homes they are very appreciative (and have an appreciation for anyone who takes the time to feed them on a regular schedule). Would you believe that we rescued the big chocolate colored guy from an owner who was going to put him down, simply because he didn't want the dog anymore.

There are some people who simply shouldn't have either kids or dogs.

o

I believe it. I have a few well-fed fruit rats of my own. One came from the humane society a just a few months ago. She is sitting next to me now wondering why I haven't taken her out to play fetch. :-)

o

Best looking fruit rats I have ever seen!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 6:33

Two years ago we rescued a two year old Bishon mix who has allergies and is deaf. I don't think the previous owners knew he was deaf since he wasn't housebroken. He is now and I taught him hand signals to come, stay, sit ect. He is a wonderful pet. He has to have prescription dog food for the allergies, but he's worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here