Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Well, it's only taken 6 years

But I've finally taken a new set of garden pictures.

Click here and pour yourself a drink.

Comments (18)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

Nice tropical look to the yard.

In picture 10, what is the bamboo-like palm? Closest I can come is a Yellow Bamboo Palm, but I'm not sure it's the same thing.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an old Areca palm. In the ground 16 years from a 15 gallon-can.

9 years ago

Ah, so it is the Bamboo Palm I found, areca was another name listed for it. I believe these are one of those oh-so-popular Parlor Palms they like to sell at the big box stores along with the Majesty and Cat Palms, I guess I just never saw one so mature and figured they were all the small tufts of foliage like in the stores. Pity they are frost sensitive, still, I wonder how mature they can get in a planter. My wife likes palms and LOVES bamboo, this would probably be right up her alley.

• marcia_m
    9 years ago

Just lovely!
    Marcia

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous. You definitely win the crown for most effective use of crotons ever.

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Ricki, your garden is even more beautiful then when I saw it last!!

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Beautiful Ricky. Your Bismark Palm has really shot up!

What is the name of the crotons on slide 3 and slide 24, upper left side on both?

Helen

• morningloree
    9 years ago

It was worth the wait! Your yard is a paradise. The crotons I got from the Swap-a-Que are doing great. Thanks for sharing.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Upper left on slide 3 is Captain Gilbert Cutler. Mid and lower left is FDR. Slide 24 has Glen Roof behind King of Siam on the left.

• hester_2009
    9 years ago

What a great way to start my day! Just lovely and lush. Yes, you are the king of crotons - you rarely see such thick and full ones, so you sure know how to prune.
    I love the paths and groupings.
    thanks so much for posting. I'm inspired now to get to work in the yard.
    Hester

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closeup of that grouping. There are 3 heads of Captain Gilbert Cutler at the top with a massive FDR at the bottom. Also, in the middle to the extreme left is Mrs. WF Dreer. You can see a much lower head of this variety in the lower center - look for a pink leaf, that's the final color. All of these have new growth that's primarily green and yellow, but will turn to red, orange, and pink over time.

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Love the grouping, Ricky. I'm going to have to copy that!

Helen

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Your crotons are awesome. I actually was able to grow some years ago in Tampa, along with some other tropicals. Then we had the year it snowed. That was the end. Now I live even further North so no way will I attempt to grow tropicals of any kind here. I've had to completely re-learn gardening here and had to adjust not only to colder temps but to clay-based soil. The biggest thing I miss is the ability to grow tropical fruits. You truly have a paradise down there. Hope you don't live near that crocodile that lurks in the canal, they talked about having to kill one on the news this morning, and they say there is another one. That is one part of the tropics I don't miss!

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Truly amazing Ricky, looks like a full-time job just keeping your botanical garden up ;-)

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

I have a lot of crotons that have made seedlings, but I think I remember you saying they might not grow true from seed. Is that right?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kat - most Crotons don't resemble the mother plant. It's weird, but seedlings from a Croton that grows from seed do.

• stereorob
    9 years ago

Holy cow that's AWESOME!

9 years ago

I keep coming back to your slideshow looking for inspirations for my Tropical Corner. But one thing that keeps coming to mind each time I look at it, is how certain neighborhoods/communities would frown upon your unquestionably attractive yard because you lack a lawn. And that makes me a little sad.