Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

you know it's humid when.......

hester_2009
12 years ago

The container plants that you had to water twice a day in the spring haven't dried out in a week.

You wish you had space for more ferns.

Drought tolerant plants are saying " What is this all about?"

You garden in an old bathing suit and hope no one drops by.

You can't brush the dirt off when you come in the house.

You're coming in because you have to pee and then the toilet seat sticks to your butt when you stand up.

Your cat falls asleep standing up outside.

Now you're going to watch the PGA tournament and not think the gallery are wusses because it's so humid in Atlanta.

I'm sure you all have thoughts on this! Just trying for a little humor here...

Comments (22)

• saldut
    12 years ago

OH YES-YES-YES !! when you walk out the front door at 7 AM and your eye-glasses fog up.... at 7:30 AM the sweat has covered your eye-glasses and you can't see thru' it at all..... by 8AM your shorts are stuck to your rear and your tee-shirt is stuck to your under-arms and dripping ...... by 8:30 AM you start to hallucinate and lose your equilibrium and decide to coast back to the house on your sweat..... Thank God for Air-Conditioning !!! sally

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

- You can't take a decent picture because the camera lens sweats non stop

- you are harvesting sheet moss and resurrection fern from the walls of your house

- your sweat towel is drenched within a few minutes of starting work in the shady garden

~dianne

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

OMG, you gals are so right!!!

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

The flies follow you around to drink your sweat........yuck.

• stuartwanda
    12 years ago

When your hair looks like you just washed it! When the lizards run up to you lapping at the sweat on your leg!
    When you have to get out at 8 and mow the yard and you flip flops are slippery from the sweat running down you legs.
    Lord it's hot!!

• amberroses
    12 years ago

-When you'd rather do your "gardening" by checking posts here on gardenweb, looking at seed catalogs, or reading garden magazines instead of going outside into the sauna

-When you mow in the middle of the day even though it is hotter because some of the moisture has burnt off and the mosquitoes aren't as active

-After you finish mowing you have to change your underwear because it is soaked with sweat

• sis3
    12 years ago

When you have to shower and change your clothes just because you took out the trash!

This is how I am gardening these humid days!

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Quote:

-When you mow in the middle of the day even though it is hotter because some of the moisture has burnt off and the mosquitoes aren't as active

Amen!!

(loved the toilet seat sticking to the backside too!)

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

When you have to do your gardening in the coolness of midnight working from the light of your old gold mining hat, shouting EUREKA! it's the mother lode when you happen to find a vegetable that survived this hellish heat.

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

When you hang your sweaty neck towel on the back porch and it still isn't dry the next day.

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

--When you think it rained over-night because the brick patio is wet, but, alas, it's from the humidity!

--When you don't care about the weeds because it's too hot & humid annd there are too many mosquitos!!

• kayjones
    12 years ago

It's so humid here in Panama City, Florida, that the clippings I trimmed last weekend and put out for city pick up are still as 'fresh' as the day I cut them - THAT'S HUMID! I have plants that are growing roots up the stems because it's like a greenhouse in my yard!

• sass36
    12 years ago

What a great post to start the day with! Wish I could come up with something but I think the humidity has affected my brain. Keep em coming....

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I had Zinnia plants sprouting from the flower heads because they never dried out.

• Yme405
    12 years ago

When it looks like you took a dip in the pool, but never went in it.

When you've been blinded because the sunscreen has washed off your forehead into your eyes even though you had a visor on.

When you get an awful sunburn because gardening in a bathing suit seemed to make sense and the sweat amplified the rays hitting your skin.

When you notice the neighbor leering at you because you went out to garden in a white shirt and an impromptu wet t-shirt contest began without your knowledge.

When you wake up face first in the garden wondering how you got there after passing out.

When you say, oh forget this and join the Neighbor's kids playing in the sprinkler.

When the cost of hiring a lawn and tree service doesn't seem to high, even if they won't do things just the way you want and sacrificing a few plants/trees is a fair tradeoff to get out of doing it.

Love the toilet seat comment - so true!

• kayjones
    12 years ago

You know it's hot and humid when the vines in your yard start growing UNDER the surrounding shrubs and trees!

I have to turn off my sprinkler system because I'm getting fungus in my grass and on landscape plants from all the heat and humidity!

The succulents in my Florida room are rotting, though I never water them - now THAT'S HUMID!

• katieauthier
    12 years ago

Our AC broke yesterday water all over the floor, regular can't come till monday, think I will enjoy school shopping now only because the MALL has AC :(

Katie

• Irma_StPete
    12 years ago

... you do only the most necessary yardwork and sans underwear - and don't care who guesses it.

• FLgardenmom
    12 years ago

I have nothing to add to this fabulous list. I'm just so glad to see that I'm not the only one who gardens in less-than-appropriate attire. Like the string bikini that I bought looooong before having two children and the fashion police should have burned long ago! My poor poor neighbors who don't have day time jobs!

• tryinginfla9b
    12 years ago

Taking a break means several bath towels on the couch under the ceiling fan...

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

OMG, that is exactly how I take my breaks and eat my lunch. lol

• tomncath
    12 years ago

When it looks like you took a dip in the pool, but never went in it.

When you garden barefoot because you keep going into the pool in all your garden clothes to cool down, then get back to it...set 27 tomato plants this way yesterday.

Tom