Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newest project....Grapes, trellis question?

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 13:02

I have decided to add a few grape vines to the home orchard. The spot I have decided on is big enough for 6 muscadine grapes it will be 6 15 foot rows oriented east to west. It will be a Geneva double curtain design. The problem I have is I have no room on either side for dead men to support the posts so the posts will have to be stout enough to hold the weight. That is where I run in to the problem as I want to be sure the posts don't get pulled inward. The plan I had is 10 foot treated 4x4 posts sunk 4 foot and cemented in. Is that good enough? Over kill? Would 8 foot posts sunk 2 foot and cemented be enough? Any input welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newest project....Grapes, trellis question?

• Posted by abnorm Central Florida (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 18:35

Rabbit

You can reinforce your trellis end posts from INSIDE the trellis.....place an additional (possibly shorter) post inside the grapeline about 4 feet away from the end post......Add a Horizontal brace and/or a Diagonal brace to apply resistance to the Terminal post.....

Use the longer post and deeper hole.....NO concrete

Whoo-wheee.....12+ three or four foot holes to dig.....now that's a workout !......what's the "soil" or sub-soil like in your neighborhood ?

doug

o

Abnorm,

Gahh why didn't I think of inside....that is PERFECT! Thank you. I don't mind digging the holes, have a turn type augur and it makes short work of the holes. If I got lazy I could borrow Floral City Lous 3 point auger as I have a tractor. But heck I need the exercise to stay warm on these cold August days:) So by my count that would be 12 main post holes and 12 inside dead man holes +98 degree heat and a 3+ year wait for any grapes to harvest....sometimes I wonder about my sanity.

The native soil is sugar sand......the subsoil is also sugar sand lol but this is a area I have worked for a few years and the soil is jet black loamy sand to a depth of 18 inches.

o
forgot....

Btw.....why no cement?

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 19:30

Btw.....why no cement?

Because it causes the posts to rot out faster due to the moisture it absorbs.... ;-)

o

Tom is right.
As a cattle rancher, we install thousands of posts.
The deeper the better.
Be sure to tamp the soil and water in as you go to get rid of air bubbles.
Try to remove a post that has been cemented in
and you'll learn why it's not such a great idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here