Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplant! AHA!

Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 13:03

I *love* eggplant! Eggplant plants do not love me! :( I think I just discovered why but wanted to run it by the pros to see what you think. Wind! The link claims that they need 'little to no wind.' We live 2 blocks from the coast and it is constantly very windy here. I have planted them is earthbox type containers and I have planted them in the ground. I get 1 -2 miniature eggplants and that.is.it! Any other thoughts?

Jo

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/06/eggplant_troubleshooting.html

Here is a link that might be useful: harvestwizard eggplant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplant! AHA!

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 13:50

Jo - I had so much wind during the growing season that all my eggplants are in a tomato cage tied to the cattle panel trellis. In my opinion it has to do more with the soil quality and the variety of eggplant.
Next time when you plant, pick a winner variety and amend the soil very well, check for bugs and be ready to harvest. I can honestly say, I can not keep up with the production here, and I do share it with a lot of people.
I have few varieties this season: Ichiban, Rosa Bianca, Pin Tung Long, Italian, Rosalita, Fairy Tale and the winner is Orlando. That is the only one that I have in excess and every one who tried it love it!

Eggplants in the garden

Photobucket

And today's lunch roasted eggplants in a pasta salad.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

• Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 6:57

Silvia, thank you. I am going to try again. You have given me hope!

Jo

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 7:13

Maybe they don't tolerate the salt air environment. My garden is 8' from a brackish lake and 100 yards from a bayou to Tampa Bay, and I've never had much luck growing them either.

Tom

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 7:56

You are welcome Jo.
Tom, you should try again to grow eggplants. Freya lives by the water and when I saw her Orlando eggplants they were amazing! from a little starter plants that I gave her in spring.

Orlando eggplant today

Photobucket

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: salt tolerance

o

IMPE, eggplants can be more finicky than peppers - & Earthboxes may not be the best culture for some of the larger varieties. Perhaps a 'patio' variety, bred for container growing would work best?

In the past, some here mentioned that peppers do best w/ cool roots, so if the container allows the roots to get hot, might that be a factor...?

o

I'll have to ask my FIL to send me a photo of their Black Beauty Eggplant. It went home to Big Pine Key with them in May. It lives in an earthbox on their deck on one of the bays & canals in the Keys. Right on the water, gulf side. It outgrew the earthbox trellis and my FIL rigged something up. My SIL says it is trying to take over the deck.

~dianne

o

• Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 20:07

So thankful to all of you who took the time to respond! Much appreciated!

Dianne! I have found a BB eggplant at Home Depot today and it is going in to an official Earthbox tomorrow! With any luck I will resurrect this thread in 6-10 weeks with some pics of success!

Jo

o

Woot! Go Jo!

Well, my FIL has flunked either picture taking or picture sending. I'm not sure which. Then he went and deleted the photo. Oh well, he is just going to have to try again.

MIL says she had to trim her BB a few weeks ago because it was taking over. It has since made a new crop of eggplants, about a dozen she says it is growing. I'm amazed ....

Oh, Jo, make sure you take that for crap peat pot off the eggplant before you plant it. And ruffle the soil up a bit.

In-laws are here this week. I think we may be going out to get them set up with their third earthbox. This one I'll send them home with greens.

~dianne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here