Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Randia Formosa, anyone?

I've been thinking about trying a randia formosa in a container on my patio. Does anyone have any experience with them, any useful hints about caring for one?

I'm in Jensen Beach, out on Hutchinson Island, if that matters.

Comments (5)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Hmmm - had to look that up - seems like a neat choice! Not sure if you've seen this but here's the text from a page @ a site I am disallowed from linking, w/ growing infoâ¦.

Scientific name: Randia formosa
    Synonyms: Mussaenda formosa, Randia mussaenda
    Family: Rubiaceae
    Common name: Blackberry Jam Fruit, Raspberry Bush, Jasmin de Rosa
    Origin: Central and South America

You don't have to make a preserve with this fruit - the fresh pulp tastes exactly like Blackberry Jam. Yet it's not too sweet and actually tastes even better than any preserve. When you see the shrub all covered by yellow fruit, you are anxious to pick, crack open all of them, and suck out the sweet and tasty exotic pulp... This is one of those fun rare fruits than one never gets tired of!

Randia formosa is a rare tropical to subtropical fruit, growing as a small evergreen bushy shrub, usually only 4-5 ft tall in the ground and 3-4 ft in container. It can be also trained into a miniature tree. The plant is closely related to gardenia and produces 1.5-2" star shaped, very fragrant, tubular white flowers that attract nocturnal moths. Olive-shaped yellow fruits are woody shelled, about 1" size and look like small loquats. They can be easily crushed between teeth. The fruit contains two cells with small flat seeds surrounded by sweet black soft pulp tasting like "blackberry jam", beloved of children and adults.

Besides tasty fruit, the plant has many other GREAT FEATURES.

Slow and compact grower. For years, it can be grown in 3-5 gal container, reaching 3-4 ft in height.
    Branching habit and a dense pretty foliage.
    Tolerates shade and will flower and fruit in filtered light, which is appreciated by container gardeners who grow these plants indoors or in a crowded greenhouse.
    Flowers are gardenia-like and have pleasant sweet fragrance, although not as strong as gardenias. When in bloom, the bush is all covered with star-shaped flowers.
    Starts fruiting in young age - 1-1.5 year from seed. 1-3 gallon container plants start blooming and fruiting when reach about 2 ft tall.
    Heavy producer. A small 3 ft plant in 3 gal container can bear as many as 25-30 fruit at a time. Blooming/fruiting period continues for a few months, new flowers appear while the first fruit start to ripen.
    Fall/winter bloomer. Enjoy fragrance and fruit when other plants are off-season!
    Likes container culture. It requires acidic soil and will feel happy in a well-drained potting mix.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Yes, the fact that it has both fragrant flowers and fruits while small is what attracted me to it in the first place, but it doesn't seem to be too common, so I was wondering if there's some drawback I'm not aware of.

(Oh, and that site's probably where I'd get it, since I have to take a trip over that way fairly soon.)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should have mentioned that on the other side of the coin I did find this in an old thread in the Tropical Fruit forum:

I guess it is "like" blackberry jam because it is 99.5% seeds and the pulp it does have is black. There was so little pulp that I could hardly find a taste to it, as I was trying to spit out all those seeds.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I am also interested in a source. I assume that the above clip is from that "site that must not be mentioned" here. Correct?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the place off Buckingham in Ft Myers Shores that does many tropical fruits and ornamentals.