Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluesnose

Lupines

bluesnose
9 years ago

I just bought some lupine seeds really cheap and would like to try them. Has anyone here done so? I'm in Central Florida and was wondering when to plant them. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

There are some wild ones that grow in the sandhills around here but the only one I've been successful with are the ones they had a few years back at the big-box marked as "Baptisia" and it was bought as a plant.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

It's too hot for them in anything south of zone 7. Here's a photo of them growing wild near Milford, New Zealand, which I believe is zone 6. Interesting that in New Zealand they're considered an invasive exotic. I guess the picture bears witness to that.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Here's another photo taken miles away from the first one. If you notice, way back in the upper left, you can see another field of them as a purple mass.

• bluesnose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. I guess I won't expect fields of flowers but will try them anyhow.

• bears48
    9 years ago

I've grown the annual ones many times, one is texas bluebonnet and one called pixie. These are not near as pretty as the ones up north.