Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This Morning's Visitors

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 13:20

On a super rare occasion, I actually took a true camera into the yard with me this morning. This is who decided to pose for me.

Pipevine Swallowtail

Monarch (Yes, one finally showed up the other day and has been hanging around the past few mornings)

Black Swallowtail

Giant Swallowtail

Sulphur (Not sure on Clouded or Cloudless)

Longtail Skipper

Gulf Fritillary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This Morning's Visitors

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 16:27

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting :-)

o

I'm so jealous. I have frits and skippers and the occasional sulfur, but I hardly ever see swallowtails anymore since they cut down so much of the citrus around here.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 18:58

Beautiful pictures! you did a good job getting all those butterflies and your garden is looking happy with all the flowers.

Silvia

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 22:38

I am impressed!

o

Thanks folks. I had some trouble getting some of these to pose just right, they're such divas and impossible to work with. The Pipevine was especially difficult. She just wouldn't pose with her wings open. The above pic was caught in mid-stretch and even then I didn't get the full effect of the blue iridescence. Still, there were some who just refused, like the Blue Cassius who wouldn't sit still and the Zebra Swallowtail who just passed through the garden. Still, it is fun going out there every morning to see if any new types come visiting.

o

Gotta love the butterflies

o

Wonderful collection. Thank you for labeling them. It's a keeper!
Does your mexican flame vine usually bloom in hot weather?

o

It is not Mex. Flame Vine but Mex. Sunflower. I started it from seed back in Feb and it grew to about 5-6 ft by August. It has been blooming nonstop since July, maybe even in June, I do not rightly recall.

(Edit: I looked at a picture I took on Jul 15th and the Mex. Sunflower was just beginning to bloom then. Perhaps it will bloom sooner next year since it is now established? Time will tell.)

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 13:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here