Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyamy416

Help!!!!! (Mandevilla)

CrazyAmy416
10 years ago

So the baby bears that live in the woods near my house decided to use my potted Mandevilla as a kick ball last night and as a result it is now broke. Is there anything that I can do to save it???

Hosted on Fotki

Comments (14)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

It might heal. I'd cut it back, give it lots of TLC, and start back up plants with the cuttings in case the parent doesn't make it...

• meg_w (9b) Bradenton
    10 years ago

Perhaps you can tie it together and treat it like a graft?

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

I got one like that from the Lowes half dead racks. I planted it and it did fine, soon sending up other stems.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

It should be fine. When a plant stem cracks at my house, I get some sticks and duct tape and mend it. Tear off a piece of tape, put the stick behind the break and wrap the tape around all.

• cenflagirl
    10 years ago

You guys are so funny! I thought I was crazy using duck tape and sticks, but I guess I'm not the only one!

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Tell more about the bears. Where do you live? Do you have pictures of the bears? Have you had other encounters with the bears? I know that Florida has bears, but not many I think.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

The "Bear FAQ" from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is linked below. From the FAQ page: "In 2002, FWC estimated there to be between 2,500 to 3,000 bears statewide."

From the Sun-Sentinel in 2009, a map of Florida black bear populations:
    http://blogs.trb.com/news/specials/newsillustrated/blog/2009/04/bears_in_florida_map_of_where_they_live.html

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear FAQ

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Link to 2008 black bear distribution map:

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Black Bear Distribution Map

• CrazyAmy416
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about not getting back sooner. I have been in and out of the hospital with major abdominal surgery since the third of August. I am on the mend now and eager to get back in the swing of thing :) My poor plants sure have missed me, thats for sure!!! As far as the Madevilla goes, he is doing good. I cut him back and staked him and his wounds seem to be closing up good. Thank you for all the advise!!!!! I am totally new at this plant thing but I am really enjoying learning!!!

As far as the bears goes, we live in Eustis (Lake county) and we have a lot of bears in our neighborhood. We have Three mammas, one with a set of triplets, one with twins and one with a single cub. The triplets are the ones that cause the most trouble LOL. We call them the three littel monsters. There are also a couple of males that wander through, but we dont see them that often. Here are a couple of pictures of them for your enjoyment (the first is a pic of the mamma and the twins playing in the road in front of my house while I am sitting on my front porch and the second is a pic of the triplets in a tree in my back yard):

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

Wonderful photos! The little devils :)
    Marcia

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Great pictures. It seems that you enjoy them in the environment and tolerate their antics. I know I would enjoy observing them. What has been the worst encounter with the bears in your neighborhood? Any issues with children or pets? Or are they relatively good neighbors? Thanks.

• CrazyAmy416
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, we have only been here about a year. It was a shock when we first started seeing them, but we have always respected them and they respect us. They will get into the trash, so we keep it in the garage until trash day, and the babies will tear up any small tree's that we plant by trying to climb them. The only thing that has happened that was really a concern was that the mamma of the triplets bit my dog a little over a month ago. I had let her out back to do her business and she dug out under the fence and was making her way to the front porch and I think she came in between mamma and babies and mamma chased her and bit her on the back. I heard her yelp and went running and she came like a bullet through the front door and mamma was right behind her. She wasnt hurt bad enough for stitches. The vet said the bear probably wasnt out to kill her because if that was the case she wouldnt be here. It was just a warning not to get in between her and her babies. She is our biggest concern. She doesnt seem to be bothered by people at all, even cars, and she is teaching her babies the same fearlessness. But as long as there is no major problems she and her young are welcome. I dont let the dog out now unless I can be right there with her so she doesnt dig out again. I understand that they were here first and we are invading their territory. They are beautiful creatures that are just trying to live their life.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

They are adorable. We have bears in our neighborhood, too. Some minor plant damage and they will get into trash. Our bears seem to understand we are part of the package here. So far mutual respect has inhibited any scary interactions. The ants and lubbers are the worst pests! Glad your Mandevilla is mending. I use duct tape and it seems to work.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Signs of bears in the local woods, the way they scratch the tree bark, but I've never seen one. It is pretty wooly out here. Foxes, skunks and possums but no bears yet.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm