Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips for Cold Starting without much room

Posted by derbyka 10a (St. Pete) (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 13:26

I would like to try to start fall plantings asap. But, there are a lot of varieties not carried by the nurseries that need to be started from seed. I know it is popular to cold start these seeds often with grow lights. I grow in several large plots in a community garden but live in a tiny studio apartment with only one window. Any suggestions for how I might get plants started or which ones will do okay with less light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips for Cold Starting without much room

What do you want to grow? It's too late to start tomatoes from seed (that should have been started in mid-July). I direct sow lettuce and carrots in the fall, but start broccolli and onions in containers. I don't bother with grow lights and just set the containers in a sunny spot and hope for good weather. As soon as they're up and have a true leaf or two, I transplant into the garden.

I started corn and pole bean seeds in containers a few weeks ago and it seems like they pop up more quickly that way. Cucumbers were direct sown.

I don't think light is necessary for germination, but once they pop up, they need it right away. Maybe you could start the seeds indoors and rush out to transplant into the community garden as soon as they're up?

o

Tradition- you are 9b and derbyka is 10a. It is the time to start tomato seeds now. I put mine in cups 2 weeks ago to be replanted in 2 more weeks. Not too late. I'll be planting bush beans in 2 weeks. I'm in 10b. Sown directly.

o

How much light does your window get? In the winter, I start some of my veggies on my south facing windows. Otherwise, I have an cheap shop lamp that hangs by chains from a pvc frame I made. I raise it as needed. I start squash, cukes, tomatos, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and some others I can't think of right now, inside.

o

Could you place starting seeds outside your door? Perhaps someone from the community garden or a neighbor would let you start seeds.Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here