Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billbrandi

Picking Brogdon Avocadoes

billbrandi
12 years ago

Picking the tree this morning. The bees worked overtime this year. I have way more than I can eat. If anyone in the Seminole, Florida area would like some please let me know. I'll check back this evening.

Can you freeze avocadoes for use later?

Comments (32)

• katieauthier
    12 years ago

Wow didnt know that do you just freeze or do they go in a water bath?

Katie

• whgille
    12 years ago

Katie - avocados are mash when ripe and the citrus juice keeps them green. No need to cook them or water bath, those jars I pulled them out of the freezer.

Silvia

• katieauthier
    12 years ago

Thanks Silva, I have got to try this now all I need is someone with an abundance of fruit near me LOL.

P.S. I follow your posts very closely may not comment but Iam watching :)

Katie

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Silvia, I didn't think you could freeze glass. I am suprised. I usually put stuff like that in plastic baggies and freeze flat. Then I can stack them. I freeze lime and lemon juice in ice cube trays then remove them to baggies. Then I can take out one cube or more at a time.

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Kathy

I prefer to use glass for some of my favorite foods especially the tomato sauce that I freeze in bigger jars and I love those little jars for small servings.
    I freeze lemons and limes whole, I just cut the tops. Also stack the freezer bags with cut out tomatoes from the garden and I have them flat like you do. Have mangoes like that too from the mango festival.:)
    You are not the only one surprised, my dentist was too when I gave her frozen jars of tomato sauce and little jars with some fruit jam that I made, in fact she said now that she uses the jars for other uses in the kitchen like saving the leftovers when she opens a can.
    I have my jars many, many years, the only thing that needs replacement sometimes are the tops and those you can also buy individually.

Silvia

• ibarbidahl
    12 years ago

YUM....I'm an hour north in Land O Lakes. Too bad gas costs so dang much or I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Barbie

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Silvia, Cathy says a BIG THANKS for the Brogdons! Me too ;-) We're still eating on them, even though the outsides are black they keep for a very long time in the frig, and the taste is amazing.

Bill, if I didn't hate crossing Pinellas County due to the crappy traffic I'd be over there in a heart beat! Where did you get you plant from?

Tom

• whgille
    12 years ago

Tom, you are very welcome! You and Cathy deserve all the Brogdon avocados from our beautiful Florida. And if you can not get a Brogdon there, I will get it for you at the nursery where I got mine and when we go around your area, it will be delivered to you. Just let me know.

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Thanks Silvia, Cathy doesn't want to put a tree in the yard, I'm still working on getting her to accept this idea since these avocados are so amazing...lucky for me she doesn't read these posts too regularly :-) :-(

Tom

• tomncath
    12 years ago

I just showed Cathy Billy's and Silvia's pictures, didn't let her see my post at the bottom tho, asked her again if she wants to try a tree and she responded "if you want to we will" :-) Life is good!

Tom

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Yes please, I would LOVE some advocados! Tina

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina - if you are near Seminole, let me know and I'll leave a bag in the front yard for you.

• tinael01
    12 years ago

That's awesome! Thank you! Yep - I am at the western end of 102nd ave in Imperial Point. I can pick them up in the evening after work tomorrow if that is convenient?

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Tina, you have the room for a few of these trees. After you taste them I'll guarantee you'll want to put a a few in.

Bill, where did you get you tree from?

Tom

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Hi There Bill! How can I find you?

• j-grow
    12 years ago

silvia i am confused as to when to pick them? i am letting them turn black on the tree because they dont seem ripe. Is that correct. i picked them last year when they just turned and they never ripened properly.

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi J-grow

Avocados are suppose to ripen outside the tree, to extend my harvest I wait till they show a little black point, then they perfectly ripen outside. But you can also pick them green as long as they are full size, usually when one shows a lot of black it is time to start pick avocados from the tree. After harvest I put them in a cool place in the laundry room in this case and keep watching, when fully ripe I eat them or put them away, it is easy.:)

Left on the tree for later I still have avocados, not for long.-(

Pick them with a little black, not much

And perfectly ripe, time to eat them.

Silvia

• j-grow
    12 years ago

ouch I have been leaving them on the tree to get totally black! how long will that green one in your picture take to look like the ripe one in the other picture?

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom - got the tree as an "infant" at Jene's in St. Pete on Central.

Tina - sorry I didn't get back to you in time. We are taking our only daughter off to college. I've been dreading this day for over a year. Terribly, terribly proud of her but at the same time don't want to lose my sushi dinner and sci-fi movie buddy. Why can't they just stay kids forever?

• tinael01
    12 years ago

OMG Bill please don't even worry about it! I am available next week if there are any left and if not, that's fine. Did your daughter go to Seminole High? I'll bet she knew my son Josh if so. He was voted most shy, class of 2011. So maybe not, ha ha!! Where is she going to school? Josh is going to UCF and he won't let me drive him up. ! teenagers.

You are so near me, why don't you come by and talk fall gardening with me? You might like to try some of the seeds I have too. I'm always trying to get Tom to try some, but I think he's seed overloaded at home - he always says no. You know I'd love to meet a fellow gardener who's close to me. I think I'll have a Sunday Coffee next week because I really do need to meet some close by gardening buddies. look for a post.

Tina

• rmplmnz
    10 years ago

Awesome...how is the Brogdan looking this year?

• joeworm
    10 years ago

Will the brogdon avocados do well in North Florida? Thanks

• rmplmnz
    10 years ago

Check the IFAS web site for you area.

Depends on the climate conditions where you are growing.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg213

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a 15 gallon Brogdon I planted 5 years ago. It's about 15' tall, but it hasn't fruited/flowered yet. The 15 gallon Choquette that was planted at the same time right next to had some flowers but no fruit for the first time this year. In our 9B area what is our season/length of season for Brogdon's?

How many years was it before you got your first fruit? Do Brogdon's taste as good/better than Hass?

• whgille
    7 years ago

Nighthawk, this is an old post but here is my experience with them. I planted my 5 gallon Brogdon about 10 years ago, it fruited the first year and since it has grown and give me each year more fruit. The season starts for me around July and about this time the season is ending. In my opinion and others that tasted my avocados, they taste better than Hass and they always ripen perfectly, nothing ever gets thrown out from the tree, I even mailed them to the northeast and they are very welcome!

Today's avocados, I still have some left on the tree...

Silvia

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@Silvia - Thanks so much for the info. You're lucky you got them so quickly, but from your other posts you seem to have the magic green thumb.

Glad to hear they fruit in the summer. All the info on the net varies widely on they ripen. Also glad to hear we can grow a cado here that is at least the egual of a Hass.

Carlos in Miami (myavocados.com) has successfully grown and fruited good tasting (but smaller) Hass so I think my next Cado tree will either be a Hass, Oro Negro, Mexicola or Lula tho I have never tasted them - just Hass, Choquette (a bit too bland for me) and other unknown large Florida green alligator pears. Only concern is if Hass if cold hardy enough for SW Florida 9B. I have seen it rated for 26-32 degrees and rated as "average" for cold hardiness.

Have you ever had Lula or Mexicola and if so can you advise on taste? Both are supposed to be good. Some people have said Lula has an overly "Sweet" flavor they don't care for. Lula is also supposed to have Scab issues.

• whgille
    7 years ago

Thank you Nighthawk, I personally think that the Brogdon is a good variety for Florida, I don't really like the taste of the tropical avocado varieties, the kind of big. I did try some other varieties before getting the Brogdon and one of them was the Lula and I did not like it too much, I don't remember if it was sweet or why I did not like it. Between the Lula and Mexicola, I would pick the small Mexicola probably more cold hardy than the Hass but if anybody is growing the Hass in zone 9b, I would prefer that one over the other 2.

Silvia

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

Have you ever had the Oro Negro?

• whgille
    7 years ago

No, I have not seen any in my area to sample. Another one that I sampled and like is Fuerte but I don't know if it does well here.

Silvia

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

A lot of people cry & whine about Brogdon's thin skin, you can't slice or peel them and that they are overly messy to eat. Is this a legitimate complaint or are they being overly critical?

• Heather Ellis
    2 years ago

Overly critical😀