Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Nursery in St Pete

Posted by teadye 9b St Pete FL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 13:48

Hi everyone! I've mostly been lurking during our move from condo to house... but now I'm finally moving beyond the sea of cardboard and getting ready to start gardening instead of just dreaming. I like to collect so I'm looking for local nurseries you guys might know of that have a good selection of various things. Right now my mind is on coleus and hibiscus, but I know there are going to be more on the menu. My house is down in Cook Park near the old Rutland Mansion in south St Pete, so nurseries in my area would be appreciated (but I'd travel for a good one.) Suggestions for collectibles are welcome as well.

I think I will need lots of advice if you all are up for a challenge...

Thanks! Looking forward to some interesting reading here in the FL forum!
Marcie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Nursery in St Pete

Savannah's on 34th St S (just south of 22nd Ave S)
Willow Tree on 49th St N
Jene's Tropicals on Central Ave
Hazel's on Dartmouth Ave N (in a yard in a residential area)

John

o

If you're willing to go further north you have to check out:
Wilcox Nursery 12501 Indian Rocks Road
Largo, Florida 33774 - lots of Florida Natives and unusual plantings - worth the drive

Country Club Nursery - Starkey Road just north of Park Blvd in Largo. Nice selection

When it's cooler there will be more selection.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 11:48

Where on Dartmouth Av is Hazel's ? what does she specialize in ? never heard of her but would love to try it..... another great Nursery is on Haines Rd. just south of 62 Av. N., there are 2 of them next to each other and have lots of great plants and garden furniture and statues, etc., very lovely places to visit, but watch for the traffic and parking on Haines Rd., it is a bear..... Haines Rd. runs diagonally from 16 St No. up to US 19,No. (34th St), and these nurseries are abt. 61 - 60 Ave. No....... I love them.............sally

o

Sally,

Hazel's is at 5063 Dartmouth Ave. N.

Dartmouth is between 4th and 5th Ave N.

It is a couple of years since I've been there. It is literally somebody's yard in a residential neighborhood. The first time I went there I wasn't sure I had the right place at first, but they have lots of plants in their shaded yard.

John

o

Closest nursery to you might be Twiggs & Leaves, the big little native nursery in south St Pete, on MLK St S, about 11th Ave. Take a morning and visit there and also the Historic Roser Park residential area on the creek just east, and the historic Greewood Cemetery on MLK at Ingleside Ave.

On 34th St S at about 18th (maybe) is Savannah's (did someone mention that already? Fun to walk back deep into their few acres and see what's available.

Let me know if you want to come see what's growing in my yard in Lakewood Estates, get cuttings or starters.

o

Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 12:03

Thanks John- I'll have to go to Hazel's, I love these little nurseries.... I especially like the 2 on Haines Rd. you can wander and lose yourself, and the prices are quite reasonable... sally

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 13:02

Sally, what are the names of those nurseries on Haines Rd? That's close enough to me that I'd like to check them out.

Tom

o

Tom,
Kathy's Korner and Enzparelas (sp?) Neither have anything exotic or too much different IMO but they are good places for the basics at fair prices. Very nice people at both. I frequent them for my butterfly plants

o

Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 16:18

Hi Tom & junglegal-- Kathy's Korner is larger and seems to have an extensive selection, Esmeralda (sp?) is smaller, I saw her at the Green Thumb and went to her nursery later and got a carnivorous Pitcher Plant and that little thingy sure eats the bugs ! but I really liked Kathy's, she had orchids really cheap also she had Honeysuckle which you don't find many places it seems..... also it's larger and winds around in the back, under big trees, etc. worth a visit when it gets a bit cooler ( December- January )???? just my silly sense of humor...... sally

o

• Posted by teadye 9b St Pete FL (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 16:28

Thanks guys! I'm making a list of all these places. I can't wait to get out there and poke around... if it ever stops raining. At least I haven't had to water the new plantings I put in just before it all started. We divided a giant bird of paradise into 4 parts and some ornamental grass from Home Depot, but I'd rather spend my planting energies on stuff from the local nurseries.

Thanks as well, irma_stpete, for the generous offer. I'll keep it in mind as I get going on this project.

o

Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 18:14

Me too, at least for the last two. Thanks Brenda and Sally :-)

John - I've always wanted to check out Hazel's too, I'm definitely overdue on this one!

Tom

o

Esperanza's Garden Center
6001 Haines Road (Haines and 60th)
St. Pete
727-742-8492

I saved their business card from the Green Thumb Festival. I got the most beautiful hibiscus from them and their plants were all healthy and lush. I've got to get there when the weather cools.

I think I've been to Savannah's. Is it on US 19? I didn't know you could walk in the back.

I'm really getting tired of all the work my roses take. I think it's time to rip them out and go with perennials like the rest of the garden. I'll have to make note of these nurseries.

Julie

o

• Posted by teadye 9b St Pete FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 9:42

Here's a copy of the driving list I made to put in my car:
------------------------------------------------------------
Nursery's in the St Pete area:

Savannah's Nursery --- 2601 34th Street South St Petersburg, FL 33711-3530 --- (727) 864-6344

Willow Tree Nursery Inc --- 4401 49th Street North St Petersburg, FL 33709-5529 --- (727) 522-2594

Jene's Tropical Fruit Trees --- 6831 Central Avenue St Petersburg, FL 33710-8331 --- (727) 344-1668

Hazel's Garden & Nursery‎ --- 5063 Dartmouth Avenue North, St Petersburg, FL‎ --- (727) 321-4599

Wilcox Nursery --- 12501 Indian Rocks Road, Largo, Florida 33774 --- (727) 595-2073‎
Country Club Nursery --- 9850 Starkey Road Largo, FL 33777-1715 --- (727) 397-4438

Twiggs & Leaves Florida Native Nursery and Garden Center --- 1013 Dr. Martin Luther King (9th) Street South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 --- (727) 822-5400

Kathy's Korner Nursery & Tree Farm --- 6095 Haines Road North St Petersburg, FL 33714-1441 --- (727) 525-9640

Esperanza's Garden Center --- 6001 Haines Road (Haines and 60th) St. Pete --- 727-742-8492

o

Thanks for making it into a list. Does anyone remember that great link we used to have that took you to all the garden centers and you could rate them? That was really useful.

Julie

o

Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 13:53

How abt. Carroll's on 38 ave North just west of 49 St., on the south side of 38 ave.? Also Dolin's on 62 Ave No just east of 9 St. , on the north side of 62 ave. ...... sally

o

Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 9:16

I forgot about Dolin's, it's actually the closest for me and they have a nice variety.... I'll have to check out Carroll's, never been there but it's so close to Willow Tree it's worth checking out. Thanks Sally.

Tom

o

Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 12:37

Dolin's is small and sort of generic, Carroll's seems to be on the decline but they have some different stuff in the store-part.... I make sort of a circle-tour when I go, but not in this heat ! another good Nursery is Country Club out on Starkey, it is similar to Willow Tree and they have interesting corners and 'rooms'... kind of a drive tho'..............sally

o

Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 17:41

If you're looking for Orchids, there is a great place on 2nd st and 68-69 ave north in st pete, with 3 huge greenhouses stuffed full of fantastic orchids, Fla. Native Orchids.... worth a visit... only open from Wed, thru' Sun. limited hours..... sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here