Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

are schefflera invasive?

chinchette
11 years ago

I have this type of scheffera. Should I worry about it?

I am thinking I should get rid of it...

Comments (12)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

That's dwarf shefflera. I always grew them in pots. I can't imagine them being invasive. Please ask your local agricultural agent about this.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

In South Fl the large shefflera is on the invasive list. Does the dwarf one make the same flower? If so I would think it is, as the wind blows the seeds all over, as well as birds carrying them off too. :o)

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I'd like to see what others think.

• babalu_aye
    11 years ago

I recently removed several of these that I had planted over 10 years ago. They required frequent pruning, but I wouldn't call them invasive. I've never seen any new ones that came up from seed around here.

John

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    11 years ago

I have a variegated form that I prune a couple of times a year. They have been in the ground for 16 years and I have had no problems with them spreading at all. They are pretty neat looking in my opinion.
    Linda Leaf

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

It's not that they spread by the roots, when they flower the wind blows the seeds, so you might not ever see a new plant. But 4 blocks away a new one is growing. If you keep them pruned and don't allow it to flower it shouldn't be a problem, but they are listed as class one invasive in S Fl. :o)

• leahrenee1
    11 years ago

ha, oddly enough I had a seedling in one of my pots the other day, I was hoping it was from the plant already growing but it wasn't, it was a schefflera. I haven't removed it yet but I have no idea where it came from, I have a small one on the other side of the house but I keep it severely pruned.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I was wondering if it was going to spread too much from limbs hitting the ground and rooting, and if the roots were going to do bad things. I think my neighbor had the growing habits mixed up with the non-dwarf type.

I will keep it pruned.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    11 years ago

I am familiar with these trees from the 14 years I lived in the Keys. They are invasive, have heard of foundation slabs cracking or lifting up from the roots of one growing too close. If I had one growing within 20 feet of my home I'd dig it up.
    They make beautiful privacy and wind screens if planted together in a row,...but only if they are away from any home foundations.

• cocoabeachlorax
    11 years ago

Just wanted to add to second everything jofus said (well except for the keys bit, envious I am though) and that they do not belong near in ground pools either.

• deannac
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 9b and have schefflera growing about 3' away from the house. They're an accident, but turned out lovely. I purchased a few small plants for one planter, but as they grew, they got moved into the yard. My schefflera isn't verigated, and was supposed to be a dwarf...HA! I keep them pruned into a hedge but leave long branches growing up the sides of the porch...sounds bizarre, looks fantastic. Mine have never bloomed, but then again, I'm a heavy pruner!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths