Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel73

Can I Tour Your Gardens?

ariel73
12 years ago

I have been lacking in the veggie garden department, but it is something I would really like to be better at.

I have read million things but I would really love to see up close what is working for some of you.

I was hoping some of you might show me your garden and share your knowledge with me.

I would be happy to share some plants or home canned goodies for your time and knowledge.

I am in Hillsbrough County , but I wouldn't mind traveling to some of my surrounding counties.

Thank you

Comments (11)

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

If you ever happen to be on your way to Daytona, you are more than welcome to stop off in Lake Mary and poke around our gardens. I just love seeing other folks gardens, always learn something new.

~dianne

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

Hey! Of course! Right now my gardens starting for fall so once the plants are up some come the end of september I'm planning a potluck type event.. join my blog and ill post info concerning the get together there : )
    Also I may have some good pictures and other info on the blog to help you at least get started : )

Here is a link that might be useful: My Florida Organic Gardening Blog

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I only have a small veggie garden, I do mostly ornamentals, but you are welcome to come see it if you want to drive this far south.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Nothing to tour here yet, I won't set until sometime in the first two weeks of September so no pictures until then at the earliest.

Tom

• whgille
    12 years ago

Ariel - I don't know where you are at but the next garden get together at my house you are invited and maybe you can ride with somebody if you are far? It won't be till fall when is cooler and also we have more things growing in the garden. I will post the date and everyone is invited. It is also a lot of fun to meet other gardeners, my father always said more heads think better than one and it is true. When you talk to other people you get more ideas. In the meantime, you can always tour my garden here, I do post pictures sometimes and you can also ask me any questions. We are all here to help and share our knowledge.

Silvia

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hi Ariel,

My veggie garden is modest compared to many here, but you are welcome to see it. I would give it a month or two when things are growing better. You are about an hour or a little less from me. Remember I came to visit your garden two or three years ago? Anyway, I'm always happy to have visitors.

Anna

• ariel73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all are the best! It seems that most of you would like me to wait at least a month before I visit and that would be just fine. In the mean time I should be starting my seeds, correct?
    I also started cleaning out my very small veggie garden.
    I have some Jalapeño peppers plants that are still alive
    and kicking. Should I leave them or start with new plants?

Silva, it looks like you are a little over an hour away from me, and well worth the trip!

Anna, I do remember your visit. In fact, I still have the variegated pineapple plant you gave me. I would love to plan a visit with you and maybe visit CrowleyâÂÂs too.

Tom, I love seeing your pictures! Your set up looks amazing! I would love to see it in person.

Katkin, I wish you were closer. I would love to visit your garden. If I am ever in the area I will definitely be in touch.

Dianne, I occasionally take the kids to Daytona. Next trip we plan, I will be in touch.

Organicmomma, I will be in touch soon and to try and work out a time. I look forward to meeting you and seeing your garden! I love your blog!

• whgille
    12 years ago

Ariel - I do believe that the best way to learn is by visually looking at things either in a picture or in person. Last time I had over 30 people at the house and they were all learning and asking questions they were newbies but when I showed them what I was trying to explain I could see that they got it. Same thing when I had the Italian party and it was all about the tomatoes, the invitation was cooking from the garden with tomatoes as the star.
    We will make an invitation for the fall to check on our veggie gardens and what is growing then.

And about anything that survives keep it and also is a good time to start seedlings according to your zone. Cleaning up the garden and amending the soil it is always a good idea. Keep us updated on your progress.

Silvia

• shuffles_gw
    12 years ago

You are welcome to my garden. Although not prime gardening time here, there is still plenty to see. I am centrally located in Tampa. Just let me know. I grow mostly veggies. But I have beautiful water lillies if you visit before 10 AM

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Ariel, You're only about a half hour from my place if you come over the Cross-Town, I'm just off Gandy south of the Dog Track and outside Weedon Island, but not much here to look at in my little 575SQ garden until about October, if I have not started too early. I did start two weeks earlier than I've ever started before and I'm concerned my tomatoes are I'm going to have some pest and disease problems if we have a wet September here right off Tampa Bay.

And, when Silvia has her next get-together your more than welcome to go with us ;-)

Tom

• junglegal
    12 years ago

Ariel,

if you get to Tom's in Oct, you are more than welcome to swing by. I am about a 5 min drive from him. As always, I am mostly tropicals but I have dabbled in veggies with 4 dedicated raised beds. Just PM for my address if it works out.
    Bren