Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetradition

Loquat tree down

thetradition
10 years ago

Last night, I swear there was a microburst over my house. Spanish moss, oak sticks, broken pine needle clusters and crap everywhere. Some things were thrown/blown at least 100 feet from the nearest possible source tree. My tomato plants in their pots were blown all around my "protected" area, but no harm done to them, thankfully. We easily had four inches of rain.

Unfortunately, I did lose an old loquat tree. Broke right at the base. It was in declining health, but it still sucks losing an old friend. It was a reliable fruit producer (although the squirrels got all the fruit before I could get them).

Anyway, a photo of the poor old tree is below. What's a fruit tree I can replace it with that enjoys mostly shade, but also some strong, direct, afternoon sun, too?

This post was edited by TheTradition on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 14:07

Comments (8)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi The Tradition

Sorry about your loquat tree, this is not the first time that I see something like that happening, when they are overgrown and old they become brittle, that is why I keep mine trimmed and can always harvest the fruit at that height.
    What kind of fruit do you like? In my house I have different kind of fruits, I do like them all. Some are very productive and some not, others are evergreen and others not. I think that you said you already have citrus, so that leaves them out? If you like carambola/star fruit they produce in the shade but you must like them because they are very productive. I keep mine very mini.:)

Silvia

• thetradition
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, if a starfruit can take some shade and still produce, that might be the perfect replacement.

Any other suggestions? I like all kinds of fruit.

You're right, I really don't need any more citrus, but I would like to replace it with something that provides food (hopefully, when citrus is not in season). Most fruit-producing trees need full sun, though. I worry about the shade.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry about your tree, stinks losing something you take for granted everyday until it's gone! I think........clumping, cold hardy, blue bamboo! Grows well in the shade, adds a different structure to the garden, birds love it for it's protection.......no edibles from it unless you harvest the new shoots.....heard it's quite the craze out west.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Miracle Fruit tolerates some shade. It starts fruiting at a young age. Sorry about your Loquat.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    Mine came right back up from the roots can't even tell anything happened to it now . Interesting that most of the damage was done from Jeanne but then Wilma tore it down again , seems like it's far more vigorous than before the storms Curious if it's stronger but don't really want to find out lol. . You'll probably have to dig up the roots if you replace ?? gary

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Wow. If that's an "old" Loquat tree, I wonder how old mine are because the trunks are easily three times that!

Have you considered replacing with Loquat again? They grow like mad, so you'd have that space filled in rather quickly and you already know it works in that area. Just a thought.

Dawn, I've been wanting a Miracle Fruit tree! Do you have it for trade? (Unless you only have one and Jack wants it.)

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Yours didn't re-seed everywhere?! I have Loquat trees in my flower beds, from the birds and squirrels dropping the seeds. They are everywhere!!!

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Kay, I don't know who you're asking... but yes, mine re-seeds like crazy. But since the trees are nowhere near the beds, it's easy enough to mow and trim around the trees... which are on the back line of the fence.