Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

everglades tomatoes

Please provide an opinion on the everglades tomato. It is my understanding that they can grow in a south Florida summer. I might want to plant this in the spring. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I wasn't that crazy for them. They are very tiny and the bush gets very big. I like a bigger tomato, at least the size of the grape tomatoes.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are there any hybrids with everglades in it. I like the idea that it tolerates hot summer temperatures and continues to set fruit.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Not that I know of. I have some seedlings that self sowed if you want to try some come over. I am in PSL.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I agree that the fruit does not compare with that of typical cultivars, but it's better than nothing, yes?

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I still had to pull it out now, because it was full of spider mites. I don't like to spray with anything. But if I did, I suppose it would still be producing.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm surprised that there are no hybrids. It seems to me that the everglades tomato could usher in year round tomatoes if the right hybrid was created. Why has it not been done? Has there been failed attempts?

• saldut
    10 years ago

I have spider-mites also in a bad way, had to pull out my 'maters they were overrun...I don't spray either and have kept the hose out there and blasted them daily w/water, but it made no difference, they were right back the next morning, and I'd blast them again, and again, and again... my Everglades seemed to be the worst...sally

Original Author
    10 years ago

mites are tough. I had them in my orchids. I think all the remedies have toxins too strong for edibles. Pull them up and start over like you did Sally was the only choice. Damn spider mites.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

shaved, I believe that the cerasiformes and pimpinellifolliums have been used extensively to confer certain attributes into commercial hybrids, particularly disease-resistance.

Probably a hybrid like you describe - large-fruited but with the heat and humidity tolerance of the ancient landraces - if it is possible, has not been done because of the large expense vs the small potential market, which would be limited to home gardeners in florida and the gulf coast.

Commercial growers do not need anything like that because the winter growers in the deep south and the summer growers in the north both have climate conditions that don't require it. The deep south growers can't compete with northern growers in the summer no matter what so they aren't going to try.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point on the smaller market. Probably other places on the globe could use it also. Are there any hybridizers on this forum? I understand the science of it but it is not what I do. Could we collectively hire a seed company to make one? My guess is that a medium or large summer florida tomato is doable. So it looks like a money thing caused by small market.

On the other hand, because there is very little to grow in the hot florida summer I think the penetration in the market would be much greater. What florida gardner would say no to a tasty tomato bearing June, July, and August? BIg slicers.

Non gardeners would jump in.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

What florida gardner would say no to a tasty tomato bearing June, July, and August? BIg slicers.

Good thing we now have Tasty Lee ;-) Nice to finally be able to get a good tasting store-bought tomato...here in Zone 10 the ONLY mater that will grow in summer are the currants.

Tom

• whgille
    10 years ago

I grew in Arizona heat the Hawaiian currant variety and one called Ceylon, the one that is ruffled and cherry type, the problem with this variety was that they were a little bit on the sour side.

This week I found in Publix the famous Kumato tomatoes that before were only offered in the stores up north...

Silvia

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Wondering if Matt's Wild cherry & Everglades might be the same thing? I grew MWC & it was a sprawling, prolific plant yielding scads of tiny little fruits - very sweet & very seedy, so best for fresh eating; I tried cooking & it was nothing but a mass of seeds w/ a bit of juice & skins. Flavor was best early in the season & declined as the plant got older. It self-seeded easily too...

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I have often thought that Matt's and Everglades were the same tomato, but haven't any proof. They sure act the same, with a big sprawling bushy growth and tiny tomatoes.

Original Author
    10 years ago

What I would like to see in a cross including everglades is a larger tomato that tastes good and bears fruit in June, July, August, and September. If they can make seedless watermelon that tastes good I'm hoping that a summer tomato of my dreams is possible.