Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Huge, pink cold-hardy anthurium (Anthurium Oaxaca)

Is anyone growing the beautiful large, pink-flowered Anthurium Oaxaca? From my reading, I have learned that it is a huge, drought and cold tolerant anthurium. It easily reaches four to six feet tall (!) and has huge pink blooms. It will not survive a hard freeze, but will tolerate temperatures very close to freezing. It is native to Mexico and is an easy-care, less fussy, tolerant anthurium.

Wellspring Gardens has it on sale right now: $2.99 plus shipping on eBay and $4.95 plus shipping on their website:

Item on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anthurium-Oaxaca-Large-Pink-Flowers-Live-Plant-Indoor-tropical-spath-lily-/121148401200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item1c3501e630

Item on Wellspring's website:
http://www.wellspringgardens.org/servlet/the-284/Anthurium--dsh--Oaxaca/Detail

Here is some more info on the plant:

http://www.kallus.com/aroids/anthurium/anthoaxaca.htm

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/10626-anthurium-ornatum-or-oaxaca/

Yes, I bought one. {{gwi:387657}}

If you have this plant, please tell me how it does for you? How do you have it potted? Do you get many blooms? How long have you had it and how big is it now?

Stay cool,
Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Anthurium Oaxaca

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 14:33

Comments (18)

• Tom
    10 years ago

Looks very interesting, Carol. Sorry, but I don't know anything about it.

I saw a bunch of bees on it in one photo. That suggests that it has a lot of pollen. I wonder if hummingbirds and butterflies would like it.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know Tom - I haven't found any of my other anthurium to be big attractors of bees, butterflies and hummers. So I'm not sure it will add anything but color. But anyone who really knows me, knows that I cannot resist a pink flower - especially the promise of a huge pink flower - the credit card practically takes itself out of the wallet. I will post pictures when I get it. (The plant I bought will probably be only 3" tall - the vendor promises 3-8" - so yeah, hold your breath for that photo! :) )

Carol

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    that's a very good price for anthuriums must be very small?? i just got burned on a mail order so being extra cautious lol. noted thay also had the 3 colored which I'm looking for good luck gary

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, you're right, it will probably be eensy-teensy. The listing says 3-8" tall, so I knew going in that it wouldn't be big. But as far as the sale, I was thinking that the reduced price was due to end-of-season and a surplus.

I thought long and hard about the Anthurium 'Tricolor'. I even had it in my cart, but ended up not buying it. It stays on my Wish List for next year. Many (Most? All?) of Wellspring's plants come from AgriStarts, by the way, so you can go to the AgriStarts website to get a better look at plants that Wellspring sells. I linked the Anthurium page below.

I'm so sorry you had bad luck with the seller. I have had great experiences with them in the past. Their plants are small, but I know that going in and am happier to get them inexpensively. These won't ship for another week (also stated in the listing, so not a surprise/disappointment). I'll update when they come in.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: AgriStarts' Anthuriums

• User
    10 years ago

picked this one up years ago......nice....lots of pups....!

Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! That is magnificent! I love the huge leaves, I love the dark purple, I love the size. Is that an Oaxaca? If not, please tell me about the flowers. That is one cool plant!

Carol

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

carol
    wasn't this co but it was a florida co. lol bought a rare palm and had a lot of damage to all but one frond . rest of the order was deleted so ended up paying 40 bucks for one very small plant. had a very good root system so decided to keep it and appears to be recovering . Fingers crossed lol package was not damaged so they must have sent it out this way. Reinforced my rule of buying something without seeing it first lol
    Wellspring certainly has an interesting catalog may risk it again lol Thanks for the info and link!!
    wallisadi which one of the gazillion types of anthuriums is this?? Sure is a beauty gary

• User
    10 years ago

no clue, was sent in error to the store, vendor requested them back, but I bought one first....many years ago. it's a climber, mother plant got to almost three foot before unpredicted cold snap this last spring. recovered nicely, but lost a bit of its height.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, I read that string of posts about your palm order - I remember seeing it - don't remember in which forum - but thanks for the warning. I will let you know how these look when the plants arrive.

Walli, really do love your plant. Has it ever bloomed for you? What color? If it has a big bright pink flower, there's a chance it is the Oaxaca. Good for you for grabbing one before the recall - I love it!!

Carol

• User
    10 years ago

had to search my pictures, last years bloom....

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous plant wallisadi!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Plants arrived today - I had five different plants in this order. All five plants arrived in great shape. Each plant was in a separate paper bag with a stake to keep the plant from shifting and leaves crushing against the top of the box. Plants were described as 3-8" high in listings; all plants were 11-12" tall (including the 3" pot). Here are photos of the newly arrived Anthurium Oaxaca. She has three nice leaves and a root system that has filled the starter pot. For $2.99 (sale price), I'm very happy. I'm off to pot her up!

Carol

Right at 11 inches:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Walli, I keep forgetting to comment on your beautiful plant. I have never seen a spathe like that. It is a gorgeous color and mimics the leaf in the previous photo. I don't know what plant it is, but I sure want one! What a cool bloom. And I would love to play with the seeds from that spadix. If anyone knows the name of Walli's anthurium, would you please post it?

Thanks!
    Carol

• User
    10 years ago

Have four if you want one, will trade for can of corn.....:). Love Wellspring gardens. Have eleven lemon eucalyptus in the garden now, ten from them. Nice healthy, well shipped plants!!!

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Looks like a nice plant especially for that price. Almost ordered some but run accross a false bromeliad that I've been wanting for years .Blew my whole budget lol
    Wonder if they are really that cold tolerant?? Good luck!! gary

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

They are cold hardy for brief dips to low 30s and to about 28-29. This is under tree canopy with no frost. But they do not like sustained cold like the 2009-10 winter. We had one outside at Leu Gardens in a very protected spot and the 2009-10 winter killed it even though the absolute low we had was 29F.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Eric, thanks - I really appreciate the info. I will be sure to bring mine in during the freezes.

Walli, I will contact you via email in the coming week. I would be so grateful to do a trade with you - I hope I have something, anything, that interests you in return. (Better than a can of corn?!) :)

Carol

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio