Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming palm fronds?

Posted by echobelly 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 14:31

I'm still trying to figure out this Florida gardening (been here almost a year). Our property has 27 Queen palms. When we bought it, I had a landscaper clean up the yard, and the first thing he did was cut off all the dead palm fronds. Then I got a book on palms, and it said to never cut them, as it weakens the tree. The tree absorbs the nutrients from the frond and drops it when it's through. I just read another book on palm care, and the author said to make sure to cut the fronds as soon as they start to yellow, as they are easier to cut then. It sure saves me a lot of work if I don't have to trim them, but they do look a little messy (I can deal with it, though, my yard is hardly manicured!). What's the consensus on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming palm fronds?

Trimming green fronds off a palm that cleans itself (called "a self-cleaning" palm) will eventually "pencil" the palm and kill it. You can trim fronds off a Queen Palm at any time since it is not a self-cleaning palm. They are easier to cut through before they go all the way to brown and with 27 of them, I'd be cutting them as soon as the tips start to yellow.

o

You are correct about the on-going battle over Palm Pruining. Your best bet is to go to the Universituy of Florida Extension Serive Website. They are the experts on all that grows (Or dies) in a Florida garden. Check out their publication entitled: "Care and Maintenance of Landscape Palms in South Florida" Abide by the 3PM-6PM rule and you will be fine. Hope this helps.

o

The UF advice on palms is it's healthier for the plant to not cut the fronds
until the midrib is brown all the way to the trunk.
The reason is that as long as there is green,
the palm continues to make food.
Any cut is an invitation for insects and disease.
You can trim back the fronds if you do not like the dead brown look
or the fronds smack you in the face.
Since you do not mind waiting until the fronds fall, go with that.
It's the best plan for the health of your palms.
You were right!

o

I think you should cut the dead fronds, they become deadly projectiles in a hurricane. And the berries are soo heavy that I would cut that off too when it is just flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here