Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humming Birds in St. Pete - downtown

Posted by saintpfla (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 14:44

They're BAAACK!!!!

Saw the first today - female. She hovered by the place I always hang the feeder...so, she must be a returning visitor!

YAAAY!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humming Birds in St. Pete - downtown

• Posted by tomncath USDA 10a, Heat 10, S (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 19:06

Good for you, my first last year was 08/10/13, no sightings here yet :-(

Tom

o

For some reason they decided to stay here all year. This is the first time. (Brooksville.) They usually leave early summer and return in late March.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 15:49

Behind Sunken Gardens are the largest Cape Honeysuckle I have ever seen, also other large vines all in a mass of confusion and flowers..fantastic... bees galore also hummers I'm sure but I didn't actually see any when I drove by... they are covering the wall and cascading down... on the street behind the Gardens, you can't miss it.... but here in my little patch, I haven't seen a hummer for a long time now... sally

o

Saldut - Sunken Gardens is so beautiful...I love those cascading flowers.

I quickly ran out and hung two feeders.....have not see another hummer since yesterday.

They don't give you a second chance, do they???

o

I rarely see a humming bird in my yard, but today about 6 pm I saw one swooping up to an oak tree. All I could see was shades of brown.
Here's a list of Top Ten Things You Can Do to Attract Hummingbirds. At least, I have spiderwebs!
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/hummingbirds/attract.php

o

Irma...mine seem to like to be high in the tree tops as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here