Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scogebear

What to Grow -Summer Zone 10

scogebear
10 years ago

Well, I didn't think much could grow in South Florida in the summer, but my son threw some watermelon seeds in the garden and they proliferated...now we have two pretty good size melons on the vines (may be more hidden, just found one today). After looking it up, It looks like the Moon and Stars variety. Wondering if anyone has had success growing melons or anything else in our hot, wet summers?

Comments (17)

• sharbear50
    10 years ago

Tomatoes are suffering, green bush beans died, strawberries are struggling, onions though growing are HOT...so no, nothing here.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I am in zone 9b, not a lot cooler, I have a variety of strawberry, called Tristan that is a real trooper, I have three plants in a pot on the lanai, no signs of being stressed out by Florida weather. Congratulations on the watermelons! Have you considered a small water garden in a pot the size of a half a whiskey barrel, my water lilies are doing great. I put some black cow composted manure in a pot filled it up and left about six inches for growth, planted the lily and added some pea gravel to hold things down, put in water and now have some carefree lilies growing. Gingers need some shade, but they tolerate this type of weather, too. Good luck, my gardening consists of lots of glasses of lemonade while sitting in the lanai.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

My peppers did so well this summer, I was surprised - I have Marconi & Jalapenos
    It was a good season for okra as well
    I also have Egyptian & Welsh onions, Asian celery (Nan Ling), Rattlesnake pole beans & lots of basil

Everything is partially shaded during the hottest part of the day

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>Asian celery (Nan Ling)

Very interested in this, carolb. I thought Asian celery needed fairly cool weather? Does it need to be blanched?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

It's more like cutting celery; it has skinny stalks, but it is larger than cutting celery & bloomed & set seed w/in a month or so, but kept right on growing. It is in pots in high shade. I use the stalks & leaves for cooking

Got it from Pinetree...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese celery

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• saldut
    10 years ago

Sweet potatoes and sweet peppers doing well here...sally

• featherhoof
    10 years ago

My yardlong beans are spent, lunchbox peppers and Marconi peppers are productive, eggplants are making many smaller fruit, okra are growing well, my Texas granex and red onions are in the shade along with my mint, stevia, cutting celery, rosemary, and other herbs. My salad greens were recently demolished by bugs after a harvest of micro greens and baby spinach.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

My green beans did good, the peppers still going strong. All my summer squash and cucumbers molded and died due top all the rain we have been getting here in NE FL. I did get one huge cucumber lol. Last year I had all kinds of summer squash...
    Tomatoes are doing okay not great. Probably about done except for the few ripening on the vine till it cools off again.
    I can't grow onions here to save my life..something keeps eating them as soon as they come up. I thought it was the chickens but once they got fenced off, they still disappear. I now wonder if its squirrels?
    My choc. mint, basil, and pineapple sage are going wild. I have so much that I have been feeding them to the rabbits as well as preserving.
    I need to think of a whole new gardening plan for squash next year. Maybe mulch everything with straw and run soaker hoses underneath the mulch for the squash? They seem to get nasty otherwise....

• shellfreak
    10 years ago

I give up veggie gardening pretty much in the summer. The only thing that grows is my rosemary, green onions and some sweet onions I planted that I forgot I did. I'll start up again in late Sept.

• leelee_2008
    10 years ago

yard long beans gave up at the beginning of this month. I have two hot peppers still producing, besides herbs like rosemary, sage, and mint, nothing else is going. I'm starting tomato seeds this week and preparing my square foot boxes!

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

This hot weather salad consists of equal parts alfalfa, clover, fenugreek, and radish. They are easy to grow and take just a few days. Yes, those are coffee filters they are growing in - one tablespoon of seeds per filter.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

that is a great tip on the sprouts!
    Thank you

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

shavedmonkey, I find the all-plastic filters work better than those with metal screens. I got mine at Sweet Bay. Just soak the seeds overnight and rinse twice a day till ready to eat.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Very clever idea, shuffles!

• FloridaOrganicGarden
    10 years ago

For month to month planting guide, check out my Facebook page. I include a monthly planting guide, organic fertilizer options and a lot more info, free obviously.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook Page

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

FOG, welcome to GardenWeb!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus