Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nurseries in the Homestead area

Posted by SanteFe Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:02

My son is purchasing a home in Homestead, Fl. I need some advice where to purchase perennials, shrubs and trees at the best nursery not the box stores.I am also looking for a landscape designer for small Florida yards who are reasonable.

Thanks,
SanteFe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nurseries in the Homestead area

I do not live there but have been there. Homestead is nursery heaven. I can't give names, but there is an area known as the Redlands. Go there. BTW there is an excellent source for orchids there. R.F.Orchids. Besides what you would expect, it is a destination on its own. And way down in Homestead you can grow the tropical things that are found in the Caribbean, that will not 100 miles north. Homestead, a great place for gardeners.

o

I discovered Ray's Nursery on the northern end of Krome Ave 13 years ago when I lived in Islamorada in the Upper Keys. Actually had it recommended to me by another nursery that was going out of business just a few miles further south. I now live on the SW coast and have run into a couple of nurseries here that are supplied by Ray's. Have never been disappointed by their inventory or prices, - even drove the 3 hours one way when I initially planted my many fruit trees after moving here in 2009.
A huge selection of fruit trees, shrubs and other ornamental items on over ten acres, run by a knowledgeable & friendly Cuban lady.
The official address is ;
Rays Nursery of Miami .18905 SW 177th Ave, Miami, FL 33187 , (305) 255-3589.
Good luck !

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 22:32

o

Richard Lyons Nursery has a big selection - 10 acres:
http://rarefloweringtrees.com/
Plant Creations has mostly Florida natives:
http://www.plantcreations.com/index.html
pine island nursery has fruit trees:
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/
http://redlandnursery.com/ - it's nursery conglomerate, they offer landscaping, design, install, maintenance,etc.
there is a big community of tropical plant growers/orchid growers,etc meeting regularly too around Redlands.

o

I can't say enough good things about Pine Island Nursery if he wants fruit trees. The folks there are great helping you decide what will work in your conditions, have absolutely everything that will grow and fruit here, and will even help with follow-up if you have a problem.
When I went, to repopulate my yard after a particularly destructive storm, the thing I found really awesome was how they discouraged me from getting things I thought might be nice, but would not have worked well for my conditions.
They could have sold me trees that were "difficult" at best, and it would have been a mess for me but a profit for them. Instead, they steered me to what I would be happiest with.
And... not sure if he's due for a birthday or anniversary present, but they were great when my dad called and said "my daughter is going to come down there and needs some small trees. I want to give you a credit card number for her." They don't have a formal gift certificate system set up, but they processed that no problem.
A year later, everything we stuffed in the hatchback is thriving except the fig - and they warned me figs have bug problems, but can often survive them.
He can get small citrus from the big boxes and they'll probably be fine. But he can get much more interesting things from Pine Island.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here