Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
back garden progress

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:11

Most of the pictures I've posted in the past year or so have been from the front and side gardens since the back has been horribly neglected for several years now. Well with the other beds now pretty much done I've turned my attention to the back once more and have been making some progress. Here's a series of pictures center portion of the back garden. There's still plenty that needs to be done but it's really starting to come together.
back garden late august 2013 photo 007-3.jpg
back garden late august 2013 photo 008-3.jpg
back garden late august 2013 photo 009-3.jpg
back garden late august 2013 photo 011-2.jpg
back garden late august 2013 photo 012-1.jpg
And here's a few close-ups.
 photo 015-2.jpg
 photo 016-2.jpg
 photo 013-2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: back garden progress

Wow, how pretty. I like the statues and decorations. Very creative.

o

Dito......takes time, ours is always changing......looks great! Rough time of year to be out, can tell by the posts, most garden webbers in the ac......:)

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 9:37

I would prefer to be in the a/c too but I'm trying to get in shape and loose weight which means I need to get outside and be more active. While I'm only doing the more strenuous work in the morning on the weekends when it is slightly cooler I'm still drenched in sweat by the time I'm done. Sunday I managed to stay outside until 12:30 since it was overcast and drizzling off and on. Which means I came inside not only drenched in sweat but also coated in mud! lol

Most of the plants that you gave me are going into the bed shown in the pictures, which is going to interesting since I can't remember what half of them are and have no idea what size they could grow to! The two that I can't figure out where to place are that really aggresive bromeliad (it's currently sitting in a large temporary pot) and the tree oleander.

o

I find that grinning dog or whatever it's supposed to be very disturbing.... I'd feel like it was watching me whereever I went in the garden. ;-)

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:31

That grinning dog is a japanese shishi lion protector that you usually find guarding japanese shinto shrines or buddhist temples to ward off evil spirits. Of course mine are much simpler then ones you would find in those places, I have a smaller much better pair of ceramic shishi lions inside the house that we brought back from japan. I have the two concrete lions guarding the back garden. They bring back memories of when we lived in Okinawa and would see shishi lions at the temples and gardens.

In other words, yes, it is watching you! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here