Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I grow Chard?

Posted by tinael01 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 15:19

I planted a bunch of bright lights chard because I liked the colors, but my yankee gardener in florida book said don't grow it due to poor leaf quality in Florida. Is that accurate? I don't know whether to hang on to these seedlings or ditch them. Garden space is prime real estate!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I grow Chard?

We grow it as a winter crop.

o

Chard grows very well here in Central Florida. Plant in October and harvest till April. It is a very easy veggie to grow and has very few pests. We like all of the varieties.

o

There's a farm here in Brooksville and they grow chard, kale, collards, all of it and it's big and beautiful. They don't use pesticides either.

o

I grew two varieties last Spring and in to early Summer...Ford Hook Giant and Lucullus. The Fordhook took off but the Lucullus never grew. I recently ordered Brite Lites seeds just for fun. I'll be planting mine in September. Go for it! :)

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 18:48

Tina

Did you forget that you saw at the house when we had the garden party? All chard does well for me, the only thing is that it likes it cold otherwise it gets buggy and not so crispy.

Here it is at the right side

Photobucket

And a close up

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Tina,

Adding my 2 cents to the fray, chard does very well in Central Fla's zone 9 as a winter greens type crop. I plant it in September to augment my hydroponic lettuce for salads.

Lou

o

Chard does great here. I have some that has been growing all summer in the shade. The baby leaves are good. With all the recent rain they are struggling. They look nice in a front ornamental garden.

Dianne

o

Return your Yankee gardening book to the north country.
Florida GW experienced gardeners know more than any book!

o

:) Thank you all! I probably just started it too soon. Sylvia there was so much awsome stuff in your garden I couldn't possibly remember it all. BTW I also bought some flowering kale and lettuce seeds from Ed Hume. I hope to have my garden looking EPCOT!

o

You'd better build yourself a giant glass bubble if you want it to look like EPCOT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here